Is Computing Using Electromagnetic Waves Possible?

In summary: I was thinking more #1. Photons travel faster than anything else, so using photon waves alone, without any physical intermediary like refractors, could speed up computation a little. If EM waves could be put to use like gears in a clock, then the waves would be the gears and the clock-hand would be the computational result.Thanks for the link. Optical computing is a somewhat related idea, but I've never heard of someone trying to design a computer using electromagnetic waveforms alone as logic elements.There is no computer implementation relying primarily on EM waves for logic operations though your description is lacking in detail.Some Quantum Computers prototypes have used radio pulses to manipulate a quantum state, but that is purely mechanical, the Quantum effects being far
mustang19
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there has been research into computing using electromagnetic waves. It seems to me like a sealed off box with internal EM pluses could be used to mould waveforms through interference, which would act as logic gates to provide useful computational results. Would this be in any way practical?

Computer science news on Phys.org
mustang19 said:
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there has been research into computing using electromagnetic waves. It seems to me like a sealed off box with internal EM pluses could be used to mould waveforms through interference, which would act as logic gates to provide useful computational results. Would this be in any way practical?

Here is an introduction to Optical Logic, which is the closest thing that I kinow of to what you are asking...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_computing

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Optical computing is a somewhat related idea, but I've never heard of someone trying to design a computer using electromagnetic waveforms alone as logic elements.

AFAIK, there is no computer implementation relying primarily on EM waves for logic operations though your description is lacking in detail.

Some Quantum Computers prototypes have used radio pulses to manipulate a quantum state, but that is purely mechanical, the Quantum effects being far more relevant.

Enhancements to computer performance fall into one of two categories:

1. Optimization
Uses faster or more efficient signal processing, parallel cores, etc (e.g. Optical Computing).
2. Computational shift
Introduces a new computational model that is inherently superior (e.g. Quantum Computing). Note that traditional computers are more suitable for solving problems in the complexity class P, whereas Quantum Computers can solve the more difficult problems in the class BQP.

Which of the two did you have in mind?

I was thinking more #1. Photons travel faster than anything else, so using photon waves alone, without any physical intermediary like refractors, could speed up computation a little. If EM waves could be put to use like gears in a clock, then the waves would be the gears and the clock-hand would be the computational result.

It's just a silly conjecture, sorry I can't provide any more explanation than that.

Last edited:
mustang19 said:
Doesn't all computing use EM waves?

1. How do EM waves play a role in computing?

EM waves are used in computing to transmit data wirelessly through the air. This includes technologies such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and cellular networks.

2. Can EM waves be harmful to computers?

In most cases, no. However, strong and prolonged exposure to certain types of EM waves (such as those emitted by microwave ovens) can interfere with computer hardware and cause malfunctions.

3. What are some common types of EM waves used in computing?

Some common types of EM waves used in computing include radio waves, microwaves, and infrared waves. These are used for wireless communication and data transfer.

4. How does the speed of EM waves affect computing?

The speed of EM waves plays a crucial role in the speed and efficiency of data transmission in computing. The faster the EM wave, the faster data can be transmitted and processed.

5. Are there any alternative methods of computing that do not involve EM waves?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as optical computing which uses light waves instead of EM waves. However, EM waves are currently the most widely used and efficient method of computing.