1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing Work Environment

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    I am planning a career in scientific computing and wondering what the work environment is like, not just in that specific field but any field that's based on computer work. I'm specifically interested in how much social interaction the job might involve. My dream job is just to be left alone in an office with a computer. I understand that people need to communicate and work in teams on large projects, and that there will be meetings sometimes, that's fine.

So, if you work with computers, do you find yourself in meetings every week, constantly being interrupted by co-workers who have questions, etc.? Did it vary by the type of company you worked for?

Some people have said that it's generally pretty solitary work, others have disagreed, so...thanks for any input.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Meetings every week? More like every day!

And people came in with questions all the time. (And vice versa)

4. Jun 1, 2008 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It all depends on the project you're involved with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?