1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing Work

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Convert F into cartesian coordinates from spherical
    F = -4*theta*e_r + 1e_phi
    r(t) = 2, theta(t) = 4t, phi(t) = pi / 2
    2. Relevant equations
    x = rsin(theta)cos(phi)
    y = rsin(theta)sin(phi)
    z = rcos(phi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Where I'm having problem is converting F into Cartesian coordinates.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

What do e_r and 1e_phi mean in this equation?
    F = -4*theta*e_r + 1e_phi
  4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    e_r and e_theta are the unit vectors... for the coordinate system I believe.

[tex]\hat{e_{r}}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{e_{\theta}}[/tex]
  5. Oct 22, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

You have an error in your conversion formulas, at least if you're using theta and phi in their usual meanings. The formulas should be:
    x = rho* sin(phi)*cos(theta)
    y = rho*sin(phi)*sin(theta)
    z = rho*cos(phi)

Compare the formulas for x and y with the ones you have in your first post. Phi is the angle between the z-axis and the vector to the point (rho, theta, phi). If you project this vector onto the x-y plane, you get a vector of length r, where r = rho*sin(phi). Theta is the angle between this projected vector and the x-axis.

Haven't run into the unit vectors e_r and e_phi before. Since they're unit vectors, their magnitutes must be 1. What about their directions? I would guess that e_r (really e_rho) is a unit vector with the same direction as the vector from the origin to the point (rho, theta, phi). Is that correct? I can't picture what direction e_phi points if it's some direction other than the direction for e_rho. Can you provide definitions for these unit vectors?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?