Can Anyone Solve the Virtual Memory Issue in COMSOL?

In summary, COMSOL is a software package that uses virtual memory to access data and instructions for modeling and simulating physical systems. It utilizes demand paging to manage virtual memory, only loading necessary parts of the simulation into physical memory and storing the rest on the hard drive. The benefits of using virtual memory in COMSOL include the ability to run larger and more complex simulations without running out of memory, as well as optimizing the use of physical memory. However, there may be drawbacks such as potential slowdown and increased disk activity. To optimize the use of virtual memory in COMSOL, it is important to have enough physical memory and properly configure virtual memory settings on the computer.
Aerospaztic
I have been asking for years how to fix the virtual memory issue in COMSOL. I have 32Gb of memory, and it will use more virtual memory than RAM when there are at least 25Gb of RAM unused. Does anyone have a fix for this?

I'm using 64 bit COMSOL

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen it addressed in their forums, but nobody seems to have solved it. I do not have support for comsol under an expired subscription. So, no.

What is COMSOL and how does it use virtual memory?

COMSOL is a software package used for modeling and simulating physical systems. It uses virtual memory to access data and instructions that are not currently stored in the computer's physical memory. This allows for larger and more complex simulations to be run without running out of memory.

How does virtual memory work in COMSOL?

COMSOL uses a technique called demand paging to manage virtual memory. This means that only the parts of the simulation that are currently needed are loaded into physical memory, and the rest is stored on the hard drive. When more data or instructions are needed, they are loaded into memory and others are swapped out.

What are the benefits of using virtual memory in COMSOL?

The use of virtual memory in COMSOL allows for larger and more complex simulations to be run without running out of memory. It also helps to optimize the use of physical memory, as only the necessary data and instructions are loaded into memory at any given time.

Are there any drawbacks to using virtual memory in COMSOL?

One potential drawback is that the use of virtual memory can slow down the simulation process, as data and instructions need to be constantly swapped in and out of physical memory. This can also lead to increased disk activity and potential wear on the hard drive.

How can I optimize the use of virtual memory in COMSOL?

To optimize the use of virtual memory in COMSOL, it is important to have enough physical memory available. This can be achieved by closing unnecessary programs and processes before running the simulation. It is also helpful to ensure that the virtual memory settings on the computer are properly configured.