1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comsol/capacitor simulation

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    hi all ,

am working with annular capacitors ,
    made a simulated annular plates capacitor in Comsol

but my experimental results are not matching with the experimental results
    experimental capacitances are far smaller than the simulated ones

ex: actual capacitance for 3 mm distance is 1.4 pf
    by simulation we am getting around 14pf

in Comsol i used : electrostatics module in AC/DC -3D module

i made 2 annular plates and 2 guard rings around them , and one more big box surrounding all of them
    (guard rings are just 2 grounded rings surrounding both the capacitor plates , one with +ve potential other with -ve potential to reduce the effect of external disturbances on capacitance )

in subdomain settings i have deactived all except the big box in which i have put field and other stuff active , have put [tex]\epsilon[/tex](relative) as 1 .

now for boundary settings i gave zero charge or symmetry for the bigger box , ground for both guard rings , -1V for one plate , and set port as input for other plate ,

when i simulate this i am getting results which are not matching with experimental values :cry:

so somebody plzz help me out o:)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted