Finding a COMSOL Grant for Grad Students

In summary, the conversation is about a grad student named Adam who is interested in using COMSOL software for his project but is unable to afford it. The conversation suggests reaching out to COMSOL directly or looking into grant and scholarship opportunities. Other alternatives such as free software or contacting CD-Adapco are also mentioned. It is also noted that universities can purchase a Class Kit license and students can use it. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of attending COMSOL seminars to obtain free two-week licenses.
gol3tron
Comsol grant?

Hey PF,

I'm a grad student and I have an idea, which I would like to explore using COMSOL. Unfortunately, this software appears to be prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know of any grant/scholarship opportunities available that I might apply for, or perhaps where to look? My department doesn't seem to be very helpful with "outside the box" ideas...

Thanks,
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
1.- maybe you should talk to COMSOL yourself...I know other software companies often offer free license to universities in the hope that when students come out, they will then buy the software they are used to.

2.- there are free (as in gratis) possibilities but needless to say are not as elegant and integrated (multiphysics)...but there. It may require a little more learning and manual operations.

3.- You may want to look into http://www.caelinux.com/CMS/, for example.

Comsol has a variety of license options.
http://www.comsol.com/products/licensing/

The university department can purchase a Class Kit license that enables students to use it.

I believe it is possible to buy certain products, and not all. So perhaps you can buy a few necessary modules.
http://www.comsol.com/products/multiphysics/

It would be best to contact a Comsol representative to explore one's options.

Interestingly, I just received an email from CD-Adapco, and it had a link to one of their newsletters related to their Academic Program.
http://www.cd-adapco.com/academic/STARAcademics_Newsletter4.htm

Possibly that's another option depending on one's research.

Comsol frequently holds seminars in industry centered parts of North America and hands out two week licenses for free including all the modules usually. Just try to find one in your area. When one license runs out, go to anther seminar and get another.

Hello Adam,

Thank you for reaching out about your interest in using COMSOL for your research. I understand that the cost of the software may be a barrier for you as a grad student. I recommend looking into grant opportunities specifically for graduate students in your field of study. Often, professional organizations and foundations offer grants for students to conduct research using specific software or tools. Additionally, you can reach out to the creators of COMSOL directly to inquire about any grant opportunities they may offer. It may also be helpful to network with other researchers who use COMSOL and ask if they know of any grant opportunities or if they have had success securing funding for the software. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a COMSOL grant.

What is a COMSOL grant for grad students?

A COMSOL grant for grad students is a funding opportunity provided by the company COMSOL for graduate students to use their software for research projects.

How can I apply for a COMSOL grant for grad students?

To apply for a COMSOL grant for grad students, you will need to complete an application form on the company's website. This form will require information about your research project and how you plan to use the software. You may also need to provide a letter of recommendation from your advisor or mentor.

What are the eligibility requirements for a COMSOL grant for grad students?

The eligibility requirements for a COMSOL grant for grad students may vary depending on the specific grant you are applying for. However, in general, you must be a current graduate student and have a research project that requires the use of COMSOL software. You may also need to be affiliated with a university or research institution.

What types of research projects are eligible for a COMSOL grant for grad students?

COMSOL grants for grad students are typically awarded for projects that involve modeling and simulation using the COMSOL Multiphysics software. This can include a wide range of research topics, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and structural mechanics.

How are recipients of COMSOL grants for grad students selected?

The selection process for COMSOL grants for grad students is usually based on the quality and potential impact of the proposed research project, as well as the applicant's academic achievements and qualifications. The company may also consider the availability of funds and the number of applications received when making their selection.