COMSOL help out of memory

In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is experiencing memory issues while using COMSOL to solve a model involving a porous membrane. The options discussed are reducing the size of the mesh, using a swap file, or buying more RAM. The speaker also recommends using an O-grid hex mesh for better results. They suggest creating the mesh manually or using another software like ICEM. They also mention that 160k elements is not a lot and suggest getting more RAM for better performance.
juvel006
I'm running out of memory on my model help! 3D not axisymmetric! Pictures of geometry and mesh attached. Any recommendations on how to make this possible? This is volumetric flow through a cylinder with a thin membrane attached that is porous and utilizes brinkman's equations.

Attachments

• GEOM.jpg
    GEOM.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 971
  • GEOMmesh.jpg
    GEOMmesh.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 996
Engineering news on Phys.org
PS: ~ 156933 elements in this domain.

You have two options, reduce the size of your mesh, or buy more RAM. You could also create a swap file but that will significantly increase the time required to solve the model.

I would be willing to try a swap file due to the time I have. I'll start looking at that but are there any references on how to do this in COMSOL? Thanks!

First, I'd HIGHLY recommend using an O-Grid hex mesh. There's no need for tets on a simple geometry like that. You're topology is a square(ish) rectangular prism through the center of the cylinder. Then just basically draw radial lines outward from the corners.

This will let you define exactly how you want the mesh. More importantly, you'll reduce the number of elements for the same quality mesh.

Next, as mentioned you can typically allow swap files or other memory management tools. These are sometimes runtime options, or specified in an input file somewhere. Do a search through the Comsol help to find that stuff.

Lastly, 160k elements is not a lot. If your machine can't handle that kind of run, then as Topher mentioned, get some more RAM. RAM is dirt cheap and you'd be surprised the increases in performance you can get.

Any idea on how to do that in COMSOL? I'm very new (< 1 week) at using it. Thanks again

You've been using Comsol for less than a week and you're solving a solution involving a porous membrane? I'd say you're out of your ability level already.

Either way, for a better mesh like I mentioned there are a couple methods. For the ANSYS analogy (since that's what I know), I would probably just create the model by hand. Then I could sweep the volumes as needed with proper inflation or spacing.

Alternatively we could bring the geometry into a mesher such as ICEM and do the work in there.

Comsol doesn't have a good meshing tool. If you want a O-grid hex mesh you will probably have to create it manually or with another software.

What does the "out of memory" error mean in COMSOL?

The "out of memory" error in COMSOL is an indication that the program has run out of available memory to complete the requested task. This can happen when the simulation requires more memory than is available on your computer or when there are memory leaks in the model.

How can I prevent the "out of memory" error in COMSOL?

To prevent the "out of memory" error in COMSOL, you can try increasing the amount of available memory on your computer or reducing the complexity of your model. You can also try adjusting the solver settings to use less memory or using the "out of core" option to save memory during the simulation.

Why does the "out of memory" error only occur during certain simulations in COMSOL?

The "out of memory" error may only occur during certain simulations in COMSOL because different simulations may require different amounts of memory. If a simulation is particularly complex or has a large number of variables, it may require more memory than is available on your computer, leading to the error.

Can I still save my work if I receive the "out of memory" error in COMSOL?

Unfortunately, if you receive the "out of memory" error in COMSOL, it is unlikely that you will be able to save your work. This is because the simulation has not been able to complete and therefore, the results cannot be saved. It is recommended to regularly save your work as you go to prevent losing progress in the event of an error.

Are there any other solutions for the "out of memory" error in COMSOL?

In addition to the solutions mentioned above, you can also try closing any unnecessary programs or processes running on your computer to free up memory. You can also try dividing your model into smaller parts and running them separately, then combining the results. If the error persists, you may need to upgrade your computer's memory or consider using a high-performance computing system.