COMSOL Meshing Help - Solving Large Scale Mesh Problems

In summary, the user is experiencing meshing problems with comsol. He has tried using the swept meshing tool but it fails for high frequencies. He is wondering if there are any tips on how to resolve the problem.
keniwas
Hi Everyone!

I hope someone here can help me with a meshing problem I am experiencing in comsol. What I have is a model which has large scale differences (Ranging from the mm range to the nm range). It seems that with these differences in scale, the free meshing engine has a hard time meshing the subdomains (in 3D) and always fails with a message akin to

Code:
Error: 4029
Failed to insert point.
- x coordinate: 5.04031e-005
- y coordinate: 0.002645
- z coordinate: 2.74364e-007
An empty cavity was generated.

I am wondering if there are any tips you might have on how to resolve this problem. I have already tried the swept meshing, however becuase the topology of the subdomain changes from one face to the opposing face (one face has additional boundaries which exist only on that surface), it fails with an invalid topology message.

I have access to the Altair Hyperworks suite which include hypermesh, and I read (http://cds.comsol.com/access/dl/papers/5376/Buchau_pres.pdf ) that hypermesh has been used to successfully model/mesh systems which can then be imported into comsol. Does anyone have any experience with this process? (Which appears to go via the nastran file format). I have attempted to export some of the example models in the hypermesh tutorials to a nastran file, but upon importing into comsol i get an error saying the nastran file was corrupt.

I would really appreciate any input you have on the matter.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Try to use meshing in Solidworks, is very easy to interface with Comsol with .vrml file or .stl (but the last only for tetra mesh)

Hello to everyone I'm a newbie in comsol and FEM software. I've similar problems with comsol. My geometry ranges from cm to micron (cylindrical geometry). I've used comsol mesh tools to design the mesh. I get improvements but when I run frequency sweep, convergence is not ensured for high frequencies.
How can realize a good mesh for high and low acoustical frequencies?Suggestions?

Thank you very much

ps Can I download solidworks freely?

1. What is meshing and why is it important in COMSOL?

Meshing refers to the process of dividing a complex geometry into smaller elements in order to solve a problem numerically. In COMSOL, meshing is important because it allows for accurate and efficient simulation of large scale problems by breaking down the geometry into smaller, more manageable pieces.

2. How can I improve the quality of my mesh in COMSOL?

There are several ways to improve the quality of your mesh in COMSOL. One way is to use the automatic meshing feature, which uses advanced algorithms to create a high-quality mesh. You can also manually adjust the mesh by changing the element size or using different element types. Additionally, you can use the meshing diagnostics tool to identify and fix any issues with your mesh.

3. Can I use my own mesh in COMSOL instead of using the automatic meshing feature?

Yes, COMSOL allows you to import your own mesh from external meshing software. This can be useful if you have already created a high-quality mesh or if you are familiar with a specific meshing technique. However, it is important to note that COMSOL's automatic meshing feature is optimized for its own solvers and may provide better results.

4. I am experiencing difficulties with meshing large scale problems in COMSOL. What can I do?

If you are having trouble meshing large scale problems in COMSOL, there are a few things you can try. First, you can try increasing the element size or using a coarser mesh to reduce the computational load. You can also try using parallel computing to speed up the meshing process. If these options do not work, you may need to simplify your geometry or divide it into smaller parts to make it more manageable for meshing.

5. Is there a limit to the size of problems that can be solved using COMSOL's meshing capabilities?

There is no specific limit to the size of problems that can be solved using COMSOL's meshing capabilities. However, the size of the problem will depend on the available computational resources, such as memory and processing power. Additionally, the complexity of the geometry and the type of mesh used can also impact the size of the problem that can be solved in COMSOL.