Comsol Question: How Does Laser Irradiation Affect Skin Temperature?

• Thread starter Spiro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comsol
In summary, the post is asking for help with modeling the temperature change in each layer of human skin after laser irradiation. The user has been using the General Heat Transfer Module, but is not seeing a change in the temperature of the top layer. They are also wondering if they should use a different module or continue investigating the current one for their desired plot.
Spiro
Hello everybody,

I am a newbie in Comsol and I would like your help regarding a problem I have.

I am modeling the 3-layered human skin (epidermis, dermis, subcutaneous tissue) and I would like to know how the temperature of each layer is affected after laser irradiation on the top layer (epidermis). Until now, I have been using the General Heat Transfer Module but the problem I seem to stumble upon is that the temperature of the top layer isn't changing. Also, I would like to monitor the temperature change when the laser wavelength changes and form a plot of some kind. So finally my question is, should I use a different module or am I in the right path and should investigate more the current one.

Thanks in advance,
Sophia

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. How Does Laser Irradiation Affect Skin Temperature?

Laser irradiation affects skin temperature by causing localized heating. The laser light is absorbed by the skin, leading to an increase in temperature in the targeted area. The degree of temperature increase depends on factors such as the wavelength and intensity of the laser, as well as the skin type and thickness.

2. What are the Potential Risks of Laser Irradiation on Skin Temperature?

The potential risks of laser irradiation on skin temperature include burns, scarring, and changes in skin pigmentation. These risks can be minimized by using appropriate laser settings and following proper safety protocols.

3. Can Laser Irradiation Help with Skin Conditions?

Yes, laser irradiation can be used to treat certain skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, and wrinkles. It works by targeting specific cells or structures in the skin and promoting healing or rejuvenation.

4. How Long Does it Take for Skin Temperature to Return to Normal After Laser Irradiation?

The time it takes for skin temperature to return to normal after laser irradiation varies depending on the type of laser and the intensity of treatment. In most cases, the skin temperature will return to normal within a few hours.

5. Are There Any Precautions I Should Take Before Undergoing Laser Irradiation?

Yes, it is important to consult with a trained and experienced professional before undergoing laser irradiation. They will assess your skin type and condition, and recommend the appropriate settings for the laser treatment. It is also important to protect your eyes and any other areas of the body that may be sensitive to the laser light.