Calculating Transmission of Electromagnetic Wave in COMSOL

In summary, Jacob is seeking help with a fundamental question about using Comsol. He is trying to solve for the resulting field that is transmitted to the right boundary in a 2-D In-Plane TE Mode regardless of any obstacles in its path. He is wondering if this can be done in "Harmonic Propagation" or if he needs to use "Transient Propagation". Brian from Comsol suggests asking the question in the Comsol Community forum for a quicker response.
Yacobito
Hello All,

I have a fundamental Comsol question that maybe you can help me with.

If I am in say a 2-D In-Plane TE Mode. I am inputting a wave that will propagate left to right. What is the best way solve for the resulting field that is transmitted to the right boundary, regardless of what medium or pillars I put in its path. Seems like a simple to task to compute the transmission, but I am struggling.

I am assuming I will need to set up a time step to integrate over to make sense of it. Can this be done in the "Harmonic Propagation" mode or does it need to be in "Transient Propagation". Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Jacob

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jacob,
Have you tried asking this question in the COMSOL Community forum?
http://www.comsol.com/community/
You may get a fast answer.

Brian Kenyon
COMSOL - Web Program Manager

Hello Jacob,

Thank you for your question. To calculate the transmission of the electromagnetic wave in your system, you can use the "Transmission Line" feature in COMSOL. This allows you to specify the input wave and the material properties of your system, and then calculates the transmitted wave at the output boundary. You can also use the "Time Domain" solver in COMSOL to take into account the time evolution of the wave as it propagates through your system. Both the "Harmonic Propagation" and "Transient Propagation" modes can be used, depending on the specific parameters and properties of your system. It may be helpful to consult the COMSOL documentation or reach out to their support team for further assistance with setting up your simulation. I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

Best,

1. What is COMSOL?

COMSOL is a software platform used for simulating and analyzing various physical systems and phenomena, including RF transmission.

2. What is RF transmission?

RF (Radio Frequency) transmission is the process of sending information or energy through the air or space using radio waves. It is used in many communication and radar systems.

3. How does COMSOL simulate RF transmission?

COMSOL uses finite element analysis (FEA) to simulate RF transmission. This involves dividing the system into smaller elements and solving the equations that govern the behavior of these elements. The results are then combined to provide a comprehensive simulation of the system.

4. What are some applications of COMSOL in RF transmission?

COMSOL can be used for a variety of applications in RF transmission, including antenna design, microwave circuit analysis, and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) testing. It is also commonly used in the design and optimization of wireless communication systems.

5. Is COMSOL easy to use for RF transmission simulations?

While COMSOL may have a steep learning curve, it offers a user-friendly interface and comprehensive documentation to help users navigate the software. It also has a large community of users who share tips and techniques for using COMSOL for RF transmission simulations.