COMSOL: Setting up simple optimization problem

The algorithm for finding the optimal value of the parameter C involves assigning a value to C, estimating the domain pressure, and checking if the optimality condition is satisfied. If not, the process is repeated until the condition is met.
tdh89
Hi all, i have some doubts about setting the COMSOL optimization module.

My aim is quite simple, i should find the optimal value of a variable to minimize the objective equation.
In particular i should set up the parameter C in this equation(which represents the outlet pressure of a laminar flow model):

S=Q*C+po

in order to minimize the following equation:

abs(p-15000)

Where p is the pressure coming out from linear flow model (spf) and 15000 is a reference pressure, both applied to domain.
The algorithm is quite simple, comsol should:

1)assign a value to C
2)estimate the value of domain pressure( coming out from laminar flow model)
3)verify if optimality condition is satisfied, otherwise start again from 1

My doubt is about implementation: which kind of objective should i use (integral objective, probe objective...)? Should i use inequality constraints too?

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use an integral objective in the optimization module of COMSOL. This objective would be to minimize the difference between the outlet pressure, p, and the reference pressure, 15000. You can also set an inequality constraint to ensure that the pressure is always greater than or equal to the reference pressure.

1. What is COMSOL and how is it used for optimization?

COMSOL is a powerful software platform used for modeling and simulation in various scientific and engineering fields. It is used to create and solve complex mathematical models by incorporating a variety of physical phenomena. It can also be used for optimization by setting up a problem and finding the optimal solution based on user-defined constraints and objectives.

2. What are the steps involved in setting up a simple optimization problem in COMSOL?

The first step is to define the problem by selecting the appropriate physics and geometry. Next, the variables and parameters that are to be optimized should be defined. Then, the objective function and constraints should be specified. The optimization settings, such as the optimization method and tolerance, should also be chosen. Finally, the optimization process can be run and the results can be analyzed.

3. What types of optimization methods are available in COMSOL?

COMSOL offers a variety of optimization methods, including gradient-based methods like steepest descent and quasi-Newton, and global optimization methods like genetic algorithms and simulated annealing. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being solved.

4. Can I visualize the optimization results in COMSOL?

Yes, COMSOL provides various tools for visualizing the optimization results. You can create plots and graphs to analyze the variation of the objective function and constrained parameters during the optimization process. You can also visualize the optimized geometry and compare it with the initial design.

5. Is it possible to perform sensitivity analysis in COMSOL?

Yes, COMSOL allows for sensitivity analysis to be performed on the optimized parameters. This can help in understanding the effect of each parameter on the objective function and can aid in making design decisions. Sensitivity analysis can also be useful in identifying critical parameters that need to be optimized for better performance.