Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

COMSOL setup for inductors

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    I have been using v4.0a for the last couple of months. I have some questions on setting up an RF simulation. I am trying to set up a simulation using the RF physics module so that I can get s-parameters. I have a simple inductor (wound solenoid). The wire is 0.25" diameter and the diameter of the coil is a little over 1". Coil has almost 2 turns. I can import this model in from Solidworks. The coil can be modeled as a solid piece of wire because at the freqs of interest, the surface currents are what matters.

What I want to do is setup the inductor in a box (using perfectly conducting walls) and apply two ports, one for each lead. The difficulty I am having is how to attach the ports and how to setup any PML's. I can post a file later but I was just looking for some general help upfront. I wanted to do a broadband sweep from 1-100MHz. By getting the s-parameters, I can convert them to ABCD parameters and extract out the impedance/inductance via formulas or other means. I have tried using the AC/DC physics for this but I believe the structure size is beginning to become a problem for radiation. I am in a gray area of getting decent results. I really do need to use s-pararmeters anyways. I do have an end goal here of simulating a complete filter board with caps and inductors (works at 40MHz) but first I need to start with the basics of just one component and to get it working correctly.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted