Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comsol Simulation Help, structural mechanics plus electrostatics

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    I am trying to run a Comsol simulation which combines a piezoelectric transformer driven at resonance with electrostatic fields external to the device. The field is static-ish because the frequency is pretty low and the magnetic field can be ignored. The problem is meshing with both a moving part and a vacuum, air or free space like background that will translate the electric fields to the material. I can't find an appropriate subdomain for the surrounding material. In my last attempt I created background gas like air but with very low density and no elasticity. The problem was that if the material doesn't move back to an original position, the displacement variable gets messed. Does anyone have any advice about how to handle this situation? Thanks,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted