How Can I Solve for the Temperature of a Spiral Inductor in Comsol Multiphysics?

In summary, The person is new to using comsol multiphysics and is trying to model a spiral inductor placed in glass over a substrate. They are trying to find out the temperature of the surface of the device with a given DC current, but are unsure of which solver to use for heat transfer. They have been receiving a message of singular matrix and are advised to double check the properties of all elements in the model.
lycoss
Hi, this is my first post.

I'm new in using comsol multiphysics and I'm trying to model a spiral inductor which is placed in an another material (glass) which is over a substrate. The pads of the inductor are outside the material. What I'm trying to find out is, the temperature of the surface of the device given given a dc current of the inductor. i don't know which solver to use working with heat transfer by conduction and conductive media dc.

I usually get a message of singular matrix.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• inductor.GIF
    inductor.GIF
    13 KB · Views: 781
Engineering news on Phys.org
A singular matrix is often a sign that something wasn't defined properly in the model. Make sure that the properties of all elements are set properly for all the physics used.

1. What is a spiral inductor and how does it work?

A spiral inductor is a type of electrical component used in electronic circuits. It is typically made of a coiled wire and is used to store and control the flow of electrical current. The coiled shape of the inductor allows for a large surface area in a small space, making it efficient for storing energy. When current flows through the inductor, a magnetic field is created, which can be used to boost or block the flow of current in the circuit.

2. What is the significance of using Comsol for modeling spiral inductors?

Comsol is a powerful software tool used for multiphysics modeling and simulation. It allows for accurate and efficient modeling of complex structures, such as spiral inductors. Comsol offers a wide range of built-in features and tools specifically designed for modeling electromagnetic phenomena, making it an ideal choice for studying the behavior of spiral inductors.

3. Can Comsol be used to optimize the design of spiral inductors?

Yes, Comsol can be used to optimize the design of spiral inductors. By using the software's simulation capabilities, engineers and scientists can test different design parameters, such as the number of turns, coil spacing, and wire thickness, to determine the most optimal configuration for the inductor. This can help improve the performance and efficiency of the inductor.

4. What are some common applications of spiral inductors?

Spiral inductors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. They are commonly used in radio frequency (RF) and microwave devices, such as filters, amplifiers, and oscillators. They are also used in wireless communication systems, sensors, and other electronic devices that require precise control of electrical current.

5. Are there any limitations to using Comsol for modeling spiral inductors?

While Comsol is a powerful tool for modeling spiral inductors, there are some limitations to keep in mind. The accuracy of the simulation results depends on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions made during the modeling process. Additionally, the complexity of the model can affect the computational time and resources required for the simulation.