Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comsol:symmetry planes

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1
    Hi
    I realize a model that requires a very fine grid in comsol, so i have reduced the DoFs using symmetry planes. My structural model has 2 symmetry planes, so i have built a quarter of the total model, but now I don't know the way to tell to comsol that the realized model is only a quarter of the total....help me please!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2
    what is the phisics of your subdomain? I use a symmetry boundary condition for a fluid and plane symmetry (corrisponding to the goemetry plane's symmetry) for a solid.

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3
    hello, forgive me for the delay in the answer but i was on holiday in cyprus, very beautiful place...My model is structural model with solid subdomain and shell subdomain, and I want to find eigenfrequencies... I tried to find eigenfrequencies in 2 ways...I realized the global geometry and after a slowly processing i found eigenfrequencies that are about the frequencies founded in experimental activity(the first f = 3.5Hz)..after i have built a quarter geometry and I put symmetry constraints like you told me, but I found very high frequencies (the first f = 1345 Hz). I supposed that comsol considers this constraints in a wrong way like an external constraint and not a simmetry plane.thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook