1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

COMSOL- Unsteady 1D Diffusion modeling

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I am currently using COMSOL to do multi-component unsteady state 1D diffusion modeling (symmetry). The chemical mixture consists of 5 different chemical components which are modeled using classical Fick's second law of diffusion. To ensure mass balance based on a simplistic approach the mole fraction of the fifth chemical at any point in time will be 1- summation of the mole fraction of the 4 chemicals, since the total mole fraction of the multi-component mixture must be unity. I have the following questions

1) Do I use the transient diffusion analysis for my modeling or the Convection-Diffusion analysis (PDE mode) or any other analysis (PDE modes)? Currently I am using the Transient diffusion mass transfer mode.

2) Most importantly how do I incorporate the mass balance (mole fraction chemical 5 = 1- sum(mole fraction of chemicals 1 thro' 4)) in the analysis ?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted