1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conc Sectons

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    Sorry title was supposed to be Conic Sections, but my I key is sticky :)

I had a queston today, It went somethng like this:

An epllipse of equation ((x^2)/4) + y^2 = 1

Find the equation of the tangent which passes through point P: (4,0)

Well this was a mock exam question, where no answers were available. I keep stumbing on questions of this format and I can never do them.

There is bound to be a routine to go through when caculating something like this and it would be great to know it.

So far I have differentiate implicitly to get dy/dx = -x/4y, point P isn't on the curve, so I have to find (x,y) point on the curve that joins it and P as a tangent.

Any help? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, write the point as (x0, y0) to distinguish from a general (x, y) point. Yes, the slope of a tangent line to the ellipse at that point is -x0/4y0 and so the equation of the tangent line is y= (-x0/4y0)(x- x0)+ y0. In order that that line go through (4, 0), you must have 0= (-x0/4y0)(4- x0)+ y0.

In order that P be on the ellipse it must also be true that x02/2+ y02= 1. That gives you two equations to solve for x0 and y0.

4. Jan 16, 2008 #3
    I understood your 1st paragraph, but not so much the last sentence.

When you say in order that P be on the ellipse, I dont want it to be on the ellipse, I want it to be a point the tangent is connected to.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6224/ellipsecm5.jpg

5. Jan 16, 2008 #4
    Nevermind I got it :D Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?