Concave Mirror Problem

In summary, when an object is placed at the center of a concave mirror, the image formed will be erect, the same size, and real. This information was obtained by drawing a ray diagram, with one ray passing horizontally through the center of the mirror and another reflecting off the mirror and also passing through the center. The original mistake was made by drawing a diagram for a convex lens instead of a concave mirror.
cybernerd

Homework Statement

What is the relative size, orientation, and type of image from an object placed at the centre of a concave mirror?

Homework Equations

I drew a ray diagram for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

The image will be erect, the same size and real.

That seemed too easy. Am I doing something wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take another look at your ray diagram because one of those statements is incorrect

Okay. I think I know what I did wrong - the image should be smaller, not the same size...I think...

no, if the object is in the center, it would in fact be the same size. Did you draw one ray eminating from the object horizontally, hitting the mirror and passing through the focus? And another passing through the focus reflecting off the mirror and traveling horizontally? Easiest pair, imo.

wait, you're right, I drew a diagram for a convex LENS. My mistake.

So my image is going to be erect, the same size, and real.

that's exactly what you said in your original post... You still need the info for a concave mirror right? If so, one of those is still incorrect

What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a type of curved mirror that has a reflecting surface that curves inward, towards the focal point. It is commonly referred to as a "converging mirror" because it is able to reflect parallel rays of light and bring them to a single point.

What is the focal point of a concave mirror?

The focal point of a concave mirror is the point where all the reflected light rays converge after bouncing off the mirror's reflective surface. The distance from the mirror's center to the focal point is known as the focal length.

How is the image formed in a concave mirror?

The image formed in a concave mirror is a result of the reflection of light rays off the mirror's curved surface. These rays are reflected in such a way that they converge at the focal point, creating an inverted and magnified image of the object placed in front of the mirror.

What is the difference between a real and a virtual image in a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when the reflected light rays actually converge at a point and can be projected onto a screen. This type of image is formed when the object is placed beyond the focal point of the mirror. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when the reflected light rays appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror. This type of image is formed when the object is placed between the mirror and the focal point.

How can the magnification of an image be calculated in a concave mirror?

The magnification of an image in a concave mirror can be calculated by dividing the height of the image by the height of the object. If the magnification is greater than 1, the image will be larger than the object, and if it is less than 1, the image will be smaller than the object. The magnification can also be calculated by dividing the image distance by the object distance.