1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concave Mirror Problem

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the relative size, orientation, and type of image from an object placed at the centre of a concave mirror?

2. Relevant equations

I drew a ray diagram for this.

3. The attempt at a solution

The image will be erect, the same size and real.

That seemed too easy. Am I doing something wrong here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2
    Take another look at your ray diagram because one of those statements is incorrect
  4. Jul 23, 2008 #3
    Okay. I think I know what I did wrong - the image should be smaller, not the same size...I think...
  5. Jul 23, 2008 #4
    no, if the object is in the center, it would in fact be the same size. Did you draw one ray eminating from the object horizontally, hitting the mirror and passing through the focus? And another passing through the focus reflecting off the mirror and traveling horizontally? Easiest pair, imo.
  6. Jul 23, 2008 #5
    wait, you're right, I drew a diagram for a convex LENS. My mistake.

So my image is going to be erect, the same size, and real.
  7. Jul 24, 2008 #6
    that's exactly what you said in your original post... You still need the info for a concave mirror right? If so, one of those is still incorrect
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?