Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Concave mirror telescope

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    hello,

I found a concave mirror telescope in my town
    I think that it is very good for making newton telescope
    Estimated length of 20 cm
    I will make a telescope , but I have a problem , I do not know the place of the focus
    and the place of secondery mirror; after focus or before

can you help me please!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2
    Any replay

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3
    any replay

5. Mar 17, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Point a flashlight at it and use a piece of paper to find the focal point, then do the math to find the focal point for infinity.

6. Mar 18, 2009 #5
    thank you russ watters

7. Mar 21, 2009 #6
    I have a chunk of glass I bought at a garage sale for $3.00. It is 22" diameter and 2" thick, and is concave on one side (I didn't know this until I took it home and cleaned it off). It has a focal length of 2 meters, and is unsilvered. I have been using it as a small coffee table since about 1970. What was the mirror for?

8. Mar 21, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably a telescope mirror, 60cm f3.5 would make a reasonable Dobsonian cheaply.

9. Mar 22, 2009 #8
    can you help me in the tube of telescope , can it be by plastique or keybord or fe

10. Mar 22, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Whatever will keep out extraneous light and is not heavy. Probably a thin plastic tube would be best. Use whatever you like to reinforce it and support it from the outside.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook