Ray Diagram for Concave Mirror: Image Position & Height

In summary, the conversation involves a measurement problem regarding a 1.0 cm high object situated 11.0 cm in front of a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 8.00 cm. The task is to measure the location and height of the image using a ray diagram drawn to scale. The speaker has drawn a diagram but got a height of 0.5 cm, which was deemed incorrect. The other person in the conversation requests to see the diagram for better understanding and suggests that the number in the box on the diagram may be incorrect.
gamesandmore
A 1.0 cm high object is situated 11.0 cm in front of a concave mirror that has a radius of curvature of 8.00 cm. Using a ray diagram drawn to scale (the mirror must be drawn to scale):

(a) measure the location of the image:
6cm (infront of the mirror)

(b) measure the height of the image (and give its orientation).
? cm (inverted)

I drew a diagram and all, and got 0.5 cm for the height, but it was wrong...
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Em, if these involve direct measurements from the diagram, then there's no easy way to say this but you're going to have to attach your diagram somehow.

There is no diagram... You're suppose to draw it.

gamesandmore said:
There is no diagram... You're suppose to draw it.

Yeah, I know, that why we'd like to see the one you've drawn because otherwise we can't see your attempt, and where you may gone wrong (if you've gone wrong textbooks can be wrong you know:smile:)

Ok, I'll try my best to redraw it and post it in a second.

Last edited:
Heres the picture I drew:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5297/img001fy4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not going to be very easy at all for anyone to help you on this one! One thing I would note is the number in the box on the right (6cm). What does that denote? Is it the radius of curvature of the mirror? If so, this should be 8cm (as stated in the question).

What is a ray diagram for a concave mirror?

A ray diagram for a concave mirror is a simplified drawing that shows the path of light rays that are reflected off of a concave mirror. It helps to visualize the image formation process and determine the position and height of the image.

How do I draw a ray diagram for a concave mirror?

To draw a ray diagram for a concave mirror, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Draw a horizontal line to represent the principal axis of the mirror.
  2. Mark the center of the mirror on the principal axis.
  3. Draw a vertical line through the center of the mirror, perpendicular to the principal axis.
  4. Choose a point on the principal axis to represent the object.
  5. Draw three incident rays from the object: one parallel to the principal axis, one through the center of the mirror, and one towards the focal point.
  6. Use the law of reflection to determine the reflected rays.
  7. The intersection of the reflected rays will determine the position and height of the image.

What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when the reflected rays actually converge at a point, whereas a virtual image is formed when the reflected rays only appear to converge at a point. Real images can be projected onto a screen, while virtual images cannot.

How does the position of the object affect the position of the image?

The position of the object affects the position of the image because the distance of the object from the mirror determines the angle at which the incident rays strike the mirror. This, in turn, affects the angle of reflection and the position of the image.

How does the radius of curvature of the mirror affect the size of the image?

The radius of curvature of the mirror affects the size of the image because it determines the amount of curvature in the mirror. A larger radius of curvature will result in a smaller image, while a smaller radius of curvature will result in a larger image.