1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concave mirrors

1. Dec 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An inverted image is magnified by 2 when the object is placed 22 cm in front of a concave mirror. Determine the image distance and the focal length of the mirror.

2. Relevant equations

don't have,sorry

3. The attempt at a solution
    firstly,i use M= -di/do then i got di=-44cm ,then substitute in into the equation 1/f=1/do + 1/di ..1/f= 1/22 + (- 1/44) =44cm..did i get my steps correct?then i refer to answers,i noticed that their solution is 1/f= 1/22cm + 1/44cm without the negative..why could it be so?so,are my steps correct?the solution also stated image is real if its being describe upright..according to what i've read,it should be when a real image will describe as inverted image while virtual is to be described as upright and located behind the mirror,its so contradicting..so could you please help me to clear my doubts..thanks for your kind help!!!:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

4. Dec 20, 2008 #3
    oh..did you actually mean that convention merely a choice for me..so,if i place a either a negative sign or i don't will also be correct???..then the problem the magnification should be -2 instead of 2?if yes then i understand completely...?
  5. Dec 20, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

The sign is apparently a convention that indicates the case that you have.

What they gave you was that the magnification is 2. But inverted ... so it's -2.

The formula is m = - di/do = -2 ... so the signs cancel looks like to me.

2 = di/do
  6. Dec 21, 2008 #5
    ah..i got your point..understood..thanks for your kind help..thanks!!!:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?