What Are the Methods for Calculating Concentration of a Mass in a Solution?

• Thread starter Kelly09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the question is about finding the concentration of Na2CO3 when it dissolves in a solution with a volume of 100 cubic cm. The conversation involves using the formula concentration = moles/volume and calculating moles using the mass and atomic mass of Na2CO3. A concentration of 0.0005M is found, but there is some uncertainty and clarification needed about the units used and converting to dm3.
Kelly09
Hi guys,here is my question. What is the Concentration of Na2CO3 when it dissolves in a solution and forms a volume of 100 cubic cm?

Concentration= moles/volume.
I found moles using mass/atomic mass of Na2+C+03.
Then i used moles/volume to calculate concentration. Correct?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mass of Na2CO3 is 5.8g

So far so good.

I found concentration to be 0.0005M. Could you confirm if this is correct?

Sounds a bit low to me, can you show your working?

Concentration=moles/volume

Moles = mass/atomic mass, 5.8g/Na2C03

So 5.8/106=0.005moles.

Conc=0.05/100=0.0005M. So?

What is the definition of M here?

M is concentration. There are two ways of writing it,M or mol/dm3

OK, so how many dm3 are there in your solution?

0.0005mol/dm3

No... what you'd get in your calculations is 0.0005 mol/cm^3. You should change your mL (cm^3) to L (dm^3) before using it.

sjb-2812 said:
OK, so how many dm3 are there in your solution?

Kelly09 said:
0.0005mol/dm3

sjb asked about volume of the solution, and you have answered giving concentration...

--
methods

1. What is concentration of a mass?

The concentration of a mass refers to the amount of a substance present per unit volume of a solution. It is typically measured in units such as molarity (moles per liter) or mass per volume (grams per liter).

2. How is concentration of a mass calculated?

To calculate the concentration of a mass, you need to know the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) and the volume of the solution. Then, divide the mass of the solute by the volume of the solution and express it in the appropriate units.

3. What is the purpose of measuring concentration of a mass?

Measuring concentration of a mass is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It allows us to accurately control and predict the behavior of substances in a solution, as well as determine the strength or effectiveness of a solution.

4. How does concentration of a mass affect the properties of a solution?

The concentration of a mass can greatly affect the properties of a solution. For example, a higher concentration of a solute can increase the boiling point and decrease the freezing point of a solution. It can also impact the density, viscosity, and reactivity of a solution.

5. What are some common methods for measuring concentration of a mass?

Some common methods for measuring concentration of a mass include titration, spectrophotometry, and gravimetric analysis. These methods involve using various instruments and techniques to accurately determine the amount of solute present in a solution.