1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concenptual Velocity Question

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pilot drops a package from a plane, flying horizontally at a constant speed. Neglecting air resistance, when the package hits the ground, the horizontal location of the plane will
    A. Be in front of the package
    B. Be over the package
    C. Be behind the package
    D. Depend on the speed of the plane when the package was released

2. Relevant equations

NONE

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the answer is B. My thinking was: Since the plane is flying at a constant speed, the X component of velocity is the same throughout the flight. If the package is dropped from the plane, the X component of velocity will be the same for the package as it falls (since air resistance is neglected) so the only difference is the height. The plane should be directly over the package when it finally reaches the ground.
    Is this correct? I am not flawed in my logic, am I?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2
    Yes, you're right. That's exactly what would happen without air resistance; the plane and the package will have the exact same velocity during the time the package falls, same speed and same direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook