1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentrated photovoltaic

Tags:
  1. Nov 11, 2014 #1
    So I'm currently working on a project. Among the research questions, the following is one of them. "How can we use optical equipment such as mirrors to increase the output current?"

I did some research into it but couldn't find its technical aspect. I know the straightforward fact that the mirrors will concentrate all the incoming sun rays towards the centre where solar panel is located thus increasing the output.
    But I am looking for things like equations or any technical terms related to it.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2014 #2
    Have you tried looking at Fresnel lenses? The important part of a concentrator system isn't so much increasing power as decreasing cost. The materials in concentrator systems tend to be a lot more efficient but also a lot more expensive than a cheap silicon cell, so a concentrator is used to decrease the size of cell needed for the same power output. It's only due to the increase efficiency that the power is greater than that for a silicon cell.

4. Nov 11, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What equation(s) relate solar panel output to insolation input intensity?

5. Nov 11, 2014 #4
    Sorry I couldnt find it. Maybe: current generated/intensity of incoming rays

Also, if we are using mirrors to concentrate the solar energy then is there any specific angle at which the mirrors have to be placed in order to get maximum number of rays?

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5
    I'm also wondering is there any specific angle at which the reflectors will be inclined so that they deflect the maximum amount of sunrays towards the solar panel? My intuition says it's around 45 degrees but I still need confirmed answers.

Thanks

7. Nov 16, 2014 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Are your mirrors and solar cells going to track the sun during the day and during the seasons, or are they meant to be fixed? What are the tradeoffs in that decision?

Have you done a Google Images search on solar cell mirrors? What did those images help you to figure out for your project?

8. Nov 20, 2014 #7
    What you mean by "fixed"? Mirrors are placed alongside a solar panel and are fixed.

9. Nov 20, 2014 #8
    00d6a1a173e7d76cacefb8fc334af740.png
    where v is the drift velocity of electrons, I is the current flowing through the material, n is the charge-carrier density, A is the area of cross-section of the material and q is the charge on the charge-carrier.

Does the above equation imply that the more the velocity of an electron, the more the current? I am trying to relate this to effect of the frequency of light waves on the photoelectric process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted