Concentrated sulfuric acid (18.4 molar) has a density of 11.84 g/ml

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of molality for a dilution of concentrated sulfuric acid using water. The process involves finding the number of moles of sulfuric acid and the mass of the solvent, which can be calculated using the density of the solution. The use of the periodic table and knowledge of molecular weight is necessary to solve the problem.
drowningfish134
Concentrated sulfuric acid (18.4 molar) has a density of 11.84 g per ml
dilution with water to 5.20 molar, density of 1.38 g per ml
can be used as an a electroyte is lead batterys.

What is the molality of the 5.20 molar H2SO4 solution?

well I am not exactly sure where to start, but i know that i need to find moles of solute/kg of solvent. i think i should start with grams in one liter and use that to find the number of grams or moles of solution, but other than that i am pretty lost.

where am i wrong and what's next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with 1L of solution, calculate number of moles of sulfuric acid (easy part), mass of solvent (not that hard - start with mass of solution, subtract mass of sulfuric acid) and you are ready to calculate molality.
<Moderator edited out link: "Cheat sheets" are not an effective method of learning chemistry.>

Borek
--

Last edited by a moderator:
can someone give me a lil more help, i understand what borek is saying, but how do i find the mass of the solvent, and what method do i use when given the density

drowningfish134 said:
can someone give me a lil more help, i understand what borek is saying, but how do i find the mass of the solvent, and what method do i use when given the density

Do you recall the units for molecular weight and how to determine that using information in the periodic table? You'll need that to help you solve the problem.

1. What is concentrated sulfuric acid?

Concentrated sulfuric acid is a highly corrosive and strong mineral acid with the chemical formula H2SO4. It is commonly used in various industrial processes such as manufacturing of fertilizers, dyes, and explosives.

2. What is the molarity of 18.4 molar concentrated sulfuric acid?

The molarity of a solution is the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. Therefore, 18.4 molar concentrated sulfuric acid has a molarity of 18.4 moles of H2SO4 per liter of solution.

3. What is the density of 18.4 molar concentrated sulfuric acid?

The density of a substance is its mass per unit volume. In the case of 18.4 molar concentrated sulfuric acid, the density is 11.84 grams per milliliter (g/ml).

4. How does the density of concentrated sulfuric acid compare to water?

The density of water is 1 g/ml, which means that concentrated sulfuric acid is much denser than water. This is due to the presence of more solute particles in the same volume of solution.

5. What precautions should be taken when handling concentrated sulfuric acid?

Concentrated sulfuric acid is a highly corrosive and dangerous substance. It can cause severe burns and damage to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, should be taken when handling this acid.