Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentrating Salt Tank

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1
    I have a variation on the concentrating tank problem that I'm having a bit of trouble solving. I have a tank of 10 kg of pure water at time 0. I add a time dependent concentration of salt and remove the same volume of pure water so that the tank volume never changes. Once the tank has 1 kg of salt, I stop the problem. So unlike the typical problem where I have a known initial concentration, I instead have a target final concentration, but the time of that final concentration is unknown in that it depends on the flow rate.

$$ \frac{dm_{salt}}{dt} = in - out $$
    There's no salt exiting, so it becomes,
    $$ \frac{dm_{salt}}{dt} = \dot{m}_{in} \frac{m_{salt}(t)}{m_{tank}} $$
    Separate the variables and integrate to get
    $$ln(m_{salt}) = \frac{\dot{m}_{in} t}{m_{tank}} + C$$
    $$m_{salt}(t) = Ae^{\frac{\dot{m}_{in} t}{m_{tank}}}$$

Now I need an initial condition to get the particular solution, but I can't use
    $$m_{salt}(0) = 0$$
    and I'm not sure how to use my knowledge of the final concentration, since I don't know what time it will occur.

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure you're removing only pure water? If so, the problem is pretty trivial. You would just calculate what volume of salt solution added that contains 1 kg of salt. It has nothing to do with the tank, etc. It only depends on the concentration of the incoming solution.

4. Jun 8, 2015 #3
    Your response made me realize I was missing part of the picture. There's also the rest of the loop (including a pool) which contains all of the salt at time zero. I tried solving the problem from the perspective of the pool concentration depleting rather than the tank concentration accumulating. I then took the inverse as the rate of accumulation in the tank, which seems to give the right answer. I've attached some notes on my thought process.

$$m_{salt}(t) = m_0 \left(1-e^{\frac{\dot{m}_{in}t}{m_{system}}}\right)$$

Is this how it's supposed to be done?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. Jun 9, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cannot make any sense of your solution, in part because you never define your terms. Exactly what are ##m##, ##m_{salt}(t)##, ##m_{tank}##, etc.? Also, if ##\dot{m}_{in}## is a constant, your DE solution is correct, but not if ##\dot{m}_{in}## depends on ##t##. Depending on exactly what your ##m##-variables mean, the DE itself may not even be correct.

6. Jun 12, 2015 #5
    Let C be the concentration of salt in the tank and Cin represent the concentration of salt in the inlet stream. Let V be the volume of the tank and f be the volumetric flow rate into and out of the tank. Then,
    $$V\frac{dC}{dt}=fC_{in}$$
    Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook