1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentration and diffusion of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Estimate the concentration of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere (in molecules / m^3), at room temperature and at sea-level, assuming the fact that oxygen comprises 21 percent of the Earth's atmosphere by volume.

2. If you were to place a perfect oxygen sensor of molecular size (e.g. radius of 1 Angstrom) on the surface of the Earth, at what rate would it collect oxygen molecules?

2. Relevant equations

The perfect absorber, at steady state, sees a concentration profi le of the reagent that it is absorbing (e.g. oxygen) given by:

(1) [itex]c(r) = c_{0} (1-\frac{R}{r})[/itex]
    where [itex] c(∞) = c_{0}[/itex] and [itex] c(R) = 0 [/itex]

(2) [itex] J = -D \frac{∂ c(r)}{∂r}[/itex]
    where J is the diffusion flux and D is the diffusion coefficient

The total flux of oxygen:
    (3) [itex] \Phi = Area*J = 4\pi R^{2}J[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really stuck at question 1, I'm not quite sure how to star it.

I'm pretty sure I know what to do for # 2. I'm given the diffusion coefficient D. Using the formula for c(r) I can use equation (2), to get

[itex] J = -D \frac{∂ c(r)}{∂r} = -\frac{c_{0}D}{R}[/itex]

Would this be the final answer, or is the question asking for the total flux, [itex] \Phi [/itex].

I feel like I'm over thinking the first question, any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2
    Here is a hint for part 1: You need to use the ideal gas law. Use it to find the number of moles of nitrogen plus oxygen per unit volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook