Concentration and diffusion of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere

In summary, to estimate the concentration of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere at room temperature and sea-level, assuming it comprises 21 percent of the atmosphere by volume, you need to use the ideal gas law to find the number of moles of oxygen per unit volume. For part 2, you can use the formula for c(r) to find the diffusion flux and then multiply it by the surface area to find the total flux of oxygen. The final answer for part 2 would be the total flux, not just the diffusion flux.
Yuriick

Homework Statement

1. Estimate the concentration of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere (in molecules / m^3), at room temperature and at sea-level, assuming the fact that oxygen comprises 21 percent of the Earth's atmosphere by volume.

2. If you were to place a perfect oxygen sensor of molecular size (e.g. radius of 1 Angstrom) on the surface of the Earth, at what rate would it collect oxygen molecules?

Homework Equations

The perfect absorber, at steady state, sees a concentration profi le of the reagent that it is absorbing (e.g. oxygen) given by:

(1) [itex]c(r) = c_{0} (1-\frac{R}{r})[/itex]
where [itex] c(∞) = c_{0}[/itex] and [itex] c(R) = 0 [/itex]

(2) [itex] J = -D \frac{∂ c(r)}{∂r}[/itex]
where J is the diffusion flux and D is the diffusion coefficient

The total flux of oxygen:
(3) [itex] \Phi = Area*J = 4\pi R^{2}J[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck at question 1, I'm not quite sure how to star it.

I'm pretty sure I know what to do for # 2. I'm given the diffusion coefficient D. Using the formula for c(r) I can use equation (2), to get

[itex] J = -D \frac{∂ c(r)}{∂r} = -\frac{c_{0}D}{R}[/itex]

Would this be the final answer, or is the question asking for the total flux, [itex] \Phi [/itex].

I feel like I'm over thinking the first question, any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a hint for part 1: You need to use the ideal gas law. Use it to find the number of moles of nitrogen plus oxygen per unit volume.

1. How does oxygen get into the Earth's atmosphere?

Oxygen is produced through photosynthesis by plants and algae. It is also released through the breakdown of carbon dioxide by certain bacteria and through the respiration of animals and humans.

2. Why is oxygen concentration important in the atmosphere?

Oxygen is essential for the survival of most living organisms. It is used in cellular respiration to produce energy and is also important in the formation of ozone, which protects us from harmful UV radiation from the sun.

3. How does oxygen concentration vary in different parts of the Earth's atmosphere?

Oxygen concentration is highest at the Earth's surface, where it is produced and used by organisms. It gradually decreases with altitude, as the air becomes thinner and less oxygen is produced through photosynthesis. It also varies with location, as areas with more plant life will have higher oxygen levels.

4. What factors affect the diffusion of oxygen in the atmosphere?

The diffusion of oxygen in the atmosphere is affected by temperature, humidity, and wind. Warmer temperatures and higher humidity can make it easier for oxygen molecules to move and mix with other gases. Wind can also help distribute oxygen more evenly throughout the atmosphere.

5. How has the concentration of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere changed over time?

The concentration of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere has remained relatively stable over the past few billion years. However, it has fluctuated at different points in history, such as during the Great Oxygenation Event about 2.4 billion years ago when oxygen levels dramatically increased due to the evolution of photosynthetic organisms.