Concentration and diffusion of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Yuriick
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



1. Estimate the concentration of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere (in molecules / m^3), at room temperature and at sea-level, assuming the fact that oxygen comprises 21 percent of the Earth's atmosphere by volume.

2. If you were to place a perfect oxygen sensor of molecular size (e.g. radius of 1 Angstrom) on the surface of the Earth, at what rate would it collect oxygen molecules?

Homework Equations



The perfect absorber, at steady state, sees a concentration profi le of the reagent that it is absorbing (e.g. oxygen) given by:

(1) [itex]c(r) = c_{0} (1-\frac{R}{r})[/itex]
where [itex]c(∞) = c_{0}[/itex] and [itex]c(R) = 0[/itex]


(2) [itex]J = -D \frac{∂ c(r)}{∂r}[/itex]
where J is the diffusion flux and D is the diffusion coefficient

The total flux of oxygen:
(3) [itex]\Phi = Area*J = 4\pi R^{2}J[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm really stuck at question 1, I'm not quite sure how to star it.

I'm pretty sure I know what to do for # 2. I'm given the diffusion coefficient D. Using the formula for c(r) I can use equation (2), to get

[itex]J = -D \frac{∂ c(r)}{∂r} = -\frac{c_{0}D}{R}[/itex]

Would this be the final answer, or is the question asking for the total flux, [itex]\Phi[/itex].

I feel like I'm over thinking the first question, any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a hint for part 1: You need to use the ideal gas law. Use it to find the number of moles of nitrogen plus oxygen per unit volume.