Can Composition Reveal Solute Concentration?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate concentration (w/w or molality) when only the composition is provided. Solution must contain a counterion to be electrically neutral, so the concentration cannot be calculated.
somasimple
Gold Member
Hi All,

Is it possible to know the concentration of a solute when you have only its composition?
I.e : the solute contains 1 molecule of water for each k+

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Unless my English fails me "solute" is the substance that is dissolved. Do you mean "solute" or "solution"?

In general the answer is "yes", as concentration is a way of expressing the mixture composition, so these things are interchangeable. But the devil is in the details. If there is one molecule of water per each molecule of ethanol we have solution that is 71.9% w/w in ethanol. In your case though the information is incomplete, solution must contain a conterion to be electrically neutral. Not knowing what the counterion is we can't find the concentration.

Thanks,
I meant solution of course (excuse my bad English)
it is just an hypothetical example of computation. I know that K+ solution doesn't exist fortunately (?).
Suppose it is KCl 1:1:1

Last edited:
somasimple said:
Suppose it is KCl 1:1:1

1 molecule of KCl (no such thing as KCl molecules, but it is not a problem here) per 1 molecule of water means 1 mole of KCl per 1 mole of water. That's well beyond KCl solubility, but technically calculating concentration (at least as w/w, or molality) is trivial.

Likes somasimple
That's well beyond KCl solubility, but technically calculating concentration (at least as w/w, or molality) is trivial.
For a chemist for sure but I'm not a chemist at all.
Perhaps a useful link or a bit of help?
Thanks in advance

Do you know what mole is, and what molar mass is? Do you know how mass percentage is defined?

(These thing are taught in chemistry class, but they are much more universal and quite common in other places as well).

The only thing I know is the mole = Avogadro number * atom or molecule mass.
BTW, I'm an old student of 61' so I left classes in 1980 ;-)

How do I convert a mass percentage to a mole/litre value?

You can't, unless you know the solution density (necessary to find the volume). In general predicting them from the first principles is next to impossible, but we have density tables for many substances.

Problem!
If I know that a KCL solution is, by example, 4 mmol, is it supposed to be 4 10-3 mole of KCl diluted in one litre of water or not?
With the same known concentration may I go to a relation/computation where there is n water molecules for each K or Cl ion?

somasimple said:
If I know that a KCL solution is, by example, 4 mmol, is it supposed to be 4 10-3 mole of KCl diluted in one litre of water or not?

4 mmol is ambiguous in this context, as it is not concentration - it is amount of the substance. But assuming it is a shorthand notation for a 4 mM (where M stands for mol/L) you are right, it means there are 4×10-3 moles of KCl per 1 L of solution.

With the same known concentration may I go to a relation/computation where there is n water molecules for each K or Cl ion?

You mean if it is possible to calculate n for the given molar concentration? Yes. Again, you will need to know the solution density for that. But for most practical applications mM solution is diluted enough so that its density is not far from that of a pure water. That means you can safely assume 1 L to weight 1000 g. Part of that is 4 mmoles of KCl (mass easy to calculate from molar mass KCl), rest is water (again easy to convert to number of moles this time using molar mass of water). Molar ratio is then identical to the molecular ratio.

Thanks for your patience.

1. What is concentration by composition?

Concentration by composition refers to the relative amount of a substance in a mixture or solution, expressed as a percentage or a ratio. It is a measure of how much of a certain substance is present in relation to the total amount of the mixture or solution.

2. How is concentration by composition calculated?

Concentration by composition can be calculated by dividing the amount of the substance of interest by the total amount of the mixture or solution, and then multiplying by 100 to convert it to a percentage. For example, if a solution contains 20g of salt in 100g of water, the concentration by composition of the salt would be 20/100 x 100 = 20%.

3. What is the difference between mass concentration and volume concentration?

Mass concentration refers to the amount of a substance per unit mass of the mixture or solution, while volume concentration refers to the amount of a substance per unit volume. Mass concentration is usually expressed in grams per liter (g/L) or grams per milliliter (g/mL), while volume concentration is expressed in moles per liter (mol/L) or molarity.

4. How is concentration by composition used in scientific research?

Concentration by composition is an important parameter in many scientific experiments and studies. It can be used to determine the purity of a substance, to monitor the progress of a chemical reaction, or to calculate the amount of a substance needed for a specific experiment. It is also used in manufacturing processes to ensure the desired concentration of a substance in a final product.

5. What factors can affect concentration by composition?

Several factors can affect the concentration by composition of a mixture or solution, including temperature, pressure, and the solubility of the substances involved. In addition, any changes in the amount or concentration of the substances in the mixture can alter the overall concentration by composition. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to accurately measure and maintain the desired concentration by composition.