How to Calculate [HT-] in a Saturated Solution Using Titration Data?

In summary, the student attempted to determine solubility of tartrate in a saturated solution using titration and found that hydrolysis and dissociation must be accounted for. After doing some research, they were able to find the concentration of HA- using a trick that is not specific to this experiment.
jpd5184

Homework Statement

show the calculation for [HT-] in your saturated solution for part 2.

titration- 14.30ml 0.04M sodium hydroxide
i used. 2.005g KHT and 8.5g NaNO3

i diluted the NaNO3 to 100ml and added 2g KHT. filtered it then titrated with sodium hydroxide.

Homework Equations

Ksp=[K+][HT-]
KHT---- K+ + HT-

The Attempt at a Solution

i figure i have to do a I.C.E chart to find this out and since KHT is a solid it has no effect.
and i do know that [K+]=[HT-]

Physics news on Phys.org
it could be but i don't believe it would be that simple, i saw other people in the class and they used an ice chart i think.

Question is ambiguous then.

Titration was to determine solubility of tartrate. Once you get total concentration you need to account for two processes - hydrolysis and dissociation. Simple ICE table won't work here, and in general this is not an easy problem.

However, I think it is possible to solve the question using a trick. Please see caculation of pH of amphiprotic salt. Equation 12.6 holds always. If you will find values for Ka1 and Ka2, and if you will find information about pH of saturated KHT solution, you will be able to find exact concentration of HA-. It happens that all three numbers are well known, especially pH of the saturated solution was thoroughly researched.

Problem is, with this approach you don't use results of your experiment.

they next part of the question which i didnt post says to find the Ksp(solubility product) of KHT in you saturated solution.

so maybe i just use dilution to find [HT-] and then plug this into a ICE chart to find the Ksp.

You have diluted something? So far you only said about titrated, saturated solution.

And I am not sure I know how do you want to use ICE table for finding Ksp. Assuming there were no hydrolysis and dissociation, you have just [HT-]=[K+].

Advanced rant:

I have checked - unfortunately, you can't ignore hydrolysis and dissociation, final concentration of HT- is substantially lower than the one determined by titration.

This is often problem with simple labs, they ignore part of the chemistry involved and you never know if you are expected to take everything into account, or not.

--

i figured it out, thank you.

1. How do you calculate concentration?

To calculate concentration, you divide the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) by the total volume of the solution. This will give you the concentration in units of mass per volume (e.g. mg/mL, g/L).

2. What is the formula for calculating concentration?

The formula for calculating concentration is: concentration = mass of solute / volume of solution. This can also be written as C = m/V. It is important to make sure your units are consistent when using this formula.

3. How do you convert between different units of concentration?

To convert between different units of concentration, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from mg/mL to g/L, you can multiply by 1000. It is important to keep track of your units and make sure they cancel out correctly in the calculation.

4. How do you calculate molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that expresses the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. To calculate molarity, you first need to know the number of moles of solute and the volume of the solution. Then you divide the moles of solute by the volume in liters to get the molarity.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of concentration calculations?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of concentration calculations, including human error, incorrect measurements, impurities in the solute or solvent, and changes in temperature or pressure. It is important to carefully follow the correct procedure and use precise measurements to minimize these potential sources of error.