The concentration of a solution is 4%

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not adding water to a 4% chlorhexidine gluconate shampoo would dilute the concentration of the active ingredient. The conversation also mentions that this shampoo is commonly used by veterinarians and is also found in mouthwash.
peterkuk
Hello
I have an antimicrobial shampoo containing the active ingredient chlorhexidine gluconate at a concentration of 4% (w/v). Just say I wet my hair first then add 2 capfuls of the shampoo to my hair, does this dilute the shampoo to a lower concentration due to the water already on my hair, or will it still stay at 4%??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you think?

Likes Chestermiller and symbolipoint
well logic would tell me that it would be diluted, but then therefore, i am not applying a 4% product to the hair, right??

Likes BillTre
peterkuk said:
well logic would tell me that it would be diluted, but then therefore, i am not applying a 4% product to the hair, right??
You are still not thinking completely logically. You know how to work this!

symbolipoint said:
You are still not thinking completely logically. You know how to work this!
Let me try to show the "how to work this" part.

Imagine you have wet your hair in prep. to mix in your 4% chlorhexidine gluconate shampoo. Imagine you can squeeze ALL of that water from your hair into a graduated labeled container. Now, measure and add your shampoo to this, and mix to make a homogenous solution. What will be the concentration of the chlorhexidine gluconate in this solution?

The formulation for the 4% was chosen for some efficacious reason. The formula designers expected that the end user will be adding some of the shampoo to wetted hair.

Likes BillTre
Isn't that a veterinarian shampoo ?

hmmm27 said:
Isn't that a veterinarian shampoo ?
A quick, very quick search in Google shows a listing telling that chorhexidine gluconate is a mouthwash ingredient.

• Informative
Likes hmmm27

1. What does it mean when a solution has a concentration of 4%?

When a solution has a concentration of 4%, it means that for every 100 parts of the solution, there are 4 parts of the solute. This is also known as a 4% molar concentration.

2. How is the concentration of a solution calculated?

The concentration of a solution is calculated by dividing the amount of solute (in moles) by the total volume of the solution (in liters). This value is then multiplied by 100 to get the percentage concentration.

3. Can the concentration of a solution change?

Yes, the concentration of a solution can change. It can be diluted by adding more solvent or concentrated by adding more solute. The concentration can also change due to chemical reactions or changes in temperature.

4. How is the concentration of a solution expressed?

The concentration of a solution is typically expressed in molarity (moles per liter) or as a percentage. It can also be expressed in other units such as parts per million (ppm) or parts per billion (ppb).

5. Why is knowing the concentration of a solution important?

Knowing the concentration of a solution is important because it helps determine the properties and behavior of the solution. It also allows for accurate measurements and calculations in experiments and industrial processes.