How Much Solution Can Be Prepared with Specific Chloride Concentration?

In summary: CaCl2 should not be used up.In summary, if you want to prepare a solution with a concentration of Cl- of 0.34M, you can use either 2.5L of 0.1M NaCl or 2.4L of 0.2M CaCl2.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Available are 1L of 0.1M NaCl and 2L of 0.2M CaCl2 solutions. Using only these two solutions what maximum volume of a solution can be prepared having [Cl-]=0.34M exactly. Both electrolytes are strong.
a)2.5L
b)2.4L
c)2.3L
d)None

Homework Equations

NaCl-->Na++Cl-
CaCl2-->Ca2++2Cl-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on how to start with this one. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Pranav! :)

Let's see... what can we do...?

A. We can mix the solutions together
B. We can let some of the volume vaporize, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to do that.

What molarity do you get for instance if you mix everything together?

You have 2L of .2 M CaCl2 but what concentration of Cl- do you have for this reagent?

Evaporation is most likely out of the question.

Yes, Evaporation is out of the question.

We have 0.1 moles of NaCl from which we get 0.1 moles of Cl- ions. Similarly we have 0.4 moles of CaCl2, from which we can obtain 0.8 moles of Cl-. If we mix both of the solutions together, we get 0.9 moles of Cl- ions and total volume becomes 3L. Therefore, molarity of Cl- ions is 0.3M.

@chemisttree: From CaCl2 we have 0.4M concentration of Cl- ions.

Pranav-Arora said:
From CaCl2 we have 0.4M concentration of Cl- ions.

Yep. :approve:

Now, conserve number of moles in the equation, before after getting the solution. Call the initial volume of chlorine ions from NaCl as V1, and CaCl2 V2, and proceed.

Infinitum said:
Yep. :approve:

Now, conserve number of moles in the equation, before after getting the solution. Call the initial volume of chlorine ions from NaCl as V1, and CaCl2 V2, and proceed.

Before mixing the moles for chlorine ions are 0.9.
I am confused, how should i form the equation here?

Pranav-Arora said:
Before mixing the moles for chlorine ions are 0.9.
I am confused, how should i form the equation here?

Yes, but that is the moles for both the solutions together. You only need to conserve moles of the volume you are using :wink:

Infinitum said:
Yes, but that is the moles for both the solutions together. You only need to conserve moles of the volume you are using :wink:

So you mean the initial moles are 0.1V1+0.4V2?
But how could i conserve the moles here, i need to something like initial moles=final moles, how should i go on making an equation for final moles?

Pranav-Arora said:
So you mean the initial moles are 0.1V1+0.4V2?
But how could i conserve the moles here, i need to something like initial moles=final moles, how should i go on making an equation for final moles?

Yes, that's the initial moles. For final moles, you are already given the final concentration of chlorine, and volume doesn't tend to run away anywhere or manifest itself out of nothing :biggrin: (conserve volume!)

Infinitum said:
Yes, that's the initial moles. For final moles, you are already given the final concentration of chlorine, and volume doesn't tend to run away anywhere or manifest itself out of nothing :biggrin: (conserve volume!)

0.1V1+0.4V2=0.34(V1+V2)

I have two variables, i need one more equation. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
0.1V1+0.4V2=0.34(V1+V2)

I have two variables, i need one more equation. :confused:

Well, this equation gives you a relation between V1 and V2. Now you also have a limited amount of NaCl and CaCl2. Use these constraints!

Infinitum said:
Well, this equation gives you a relation between V1 and V2. Now you also have a limited amount of NaCl and CaCl2. Use these constraints!

I get a relation [itex]V_1=\frac{23}{12}V_2[/itex] which is approximately [itex]V_1=2V_2[/itex].

I still can't figure out, how these constraints are going to help me?

EDIT: One relation i get is that V2 should be less than or equal to 1/2 since we do not have more than 1L of NaCl, but still i don't understand how this will help me.

Last edited:
Technically you are diluting CaCl2 solution, and you want to prepare as much of the final solution as possible. That means you need to use all 2L of the CaCl2 solution, doesn't it?

Pranav-Arora said:
I get a relation [itex]V_1=\frac{23}{12}V_2[/itex] which is approximately [itex]V_1=2V_2[/itex].

Recheck your calculations, this seems to be incorrect.

One of the volumes will get exhausted because you just don't have enough, meaning that CaCl2 will be used up fully, while from that relation(after you get the calculations correct! o:)) you can find the amount of NaCl to go along with it.

Borek said:
Technically you are diluting CaCl2 solution, and you want to prepare as much of the final solution as possible. That means you need to use all 2L of the CaCl2 solution, doesn't it?

Before doing the algebraic stuff and making equations, i thought of this but then i got stuck on finding the volume we need to use from NaCl.

Infinitum said:
Recheck your calculations, this seems to be incorrect.

One of the volumes will get exhausted because you just don't have enough, meaning that CaCl2 will be used up fully, while from that relation(after you get the calculations correct! o:)) you can find the amount of NaCl to go along with it.

Oh yes, sorry about that, the relation is V1=V2/4.

Therefore the volume from NaCl is 0.5L?

Pranav-Arora said:
Oh yes, sorry about that, the relation is V1=V2/4.

Therefore the volume from NaCl is 0.5L?

Yep! :approve:

Infinitum said:
Yep! :approve:

But what if the question asked about only 0.1 M Chlorine ions at the end?

Pranav-Arora said:
But what if the question asked about only 0.1 M Chlorine ions at the end?

Isn't it obvious then??

CaCl2 would give you 0.1M Cl concentration for half liter of water. NaCl gives you 0.1 M for one liter of water. And you need maximum volume...

Infinitum said:
Isn't it obvious then??

CaCl2 would give you 0.1M Cl concentration for every half liter of water. NaCl gives you 0.1 M for one liter of water. And you need maximum volume...

Oops, sorry to ask you such a foolish question.

What is concentration of solutions?

Concentration of solutions refers to the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) present in a given amount of solvent (substance doing the dissolving). It is often expressed as a ratio or percentage.

Why is concentration of solutions important?

Concentration of solutions is important because it determines the strength or potency of a solution. It also affects various physical and chemical properties of the solution, such as its density, boiling point, and reactivity.

How is concentration of solutions measured?

Concentration of solutions can be measured in various ways, such as molarity (moles of solute per liter of solution), molality (moles of solute per kilogram of solvent), and mass percent (mass of solute divided by mass of solution multiplied by 100%).

What factors affect the concentration of solutions?

The concentration of solutions can be affected by several factors, including the amount of solute and solvent, changes in temperature or pressure, and the presence of other substances that may react with the solute or solvent.

How can the concentration of a solution be changed?

The concentration of a solution can be changed by adding or removing solute or solvent, diluting the solution with more solvent, or changing the temperature or pressure. Chemical reactions can also change the concentration of a solution by producing or consuming solutes or solvents.