Concentration of water vs. equilibrium

In summary, the equilibrium constant is a dimensionless quantity that is only dependent on the ratios of concentrations to their respective standard concentrations. When calculating the dissociation constant, the concentration of water is always stated as 1 Molar.
christian0710
Hi,
I understand from calculation that the molar concentration of Pure water is 55.5 moles/Liter
Then how come in equilibrium reactions when calculation the dissociation constant, we say that the concentration of water is 1 Molar? This seems like a huge difference to me? What is it I need to understand here?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
Then how come in equilibrium reactions when calculation the dissociation constant, we say that the concentration of water is 1 Molar?
This is not correct.
What enters the equilibrium constant is the ratio of the concentration of a substance c relative to some standard concentration ##c_0##, i.e. ##c/c_0##. For diluted substances this standard concentration is ##c_0=##1 mol/l (molarity) or 1 mol/ kg (molality) or the like (or more precisely the behaviour at infinite dilution extrapolated to a concentration of 1 mol/l). For solvents etc. we use as a standard state the pure substance, i.e. ##c_0=55,5## mol/l for water. In a dilute solution, the concentration ##c## of water is to an excellent extent equal to ##c_0## so that we can set the ratio equal to 1, at least for calculations with chemical precision.

DrDu said:
This is not correct.
What enters the equilibrium constant is the ratio of the concentration of a substance c relative to some standard concentration ##c_0##, i.e. ##c/c_0##. For diluted substances this standard concentration is ##c_0=##1 mol/l (molarity) or 1 mol/ kg (molality) or the like (or more precisely the behaviour at infinite dilution extrapolated to a concentration of 1 mol/l). For solvents etc. we use as a standard state the pure substance, i.e. ##c_0=55,5## mol/l for water. In a dilute solution, the concentration ##c## of water is to an excellent extent equal to ##c_0## so that we can set the ratio equal to 1, at least for calculations with chemical precision.

Okay, so I might understand what you are saying in 2 possible ways, which of the following two ways is the correct?

So if we are measuring the equilibrium H2O + CO2 ⇔ H(+) + HCO3(-) which is a reaction taking place in the blood of a person, then the concentration of water is only 1Molar because a) we have a diluted solution, where water is the solvent so [H2O] =1M ?
or b) the ratio between the initial concentration of water and final concentration ( at products) is almost the same so the ratio between the two concentrations is 1?

The equilibrium constant is a dimensionless quantity as it only depends on the ratios of concentrations to their respective standard concentrations.
Specifically for your reaction

## K=(c_\mathrm{H^+}/1\mathrm{ mol/l})\cdot (c_\mathrm{HCO_3^-}/1\mathrm{ mol/l})/[(c_\mathrm{H_2O}/ 55,5\mathrm{ mol/l})\cdot (c_\mathrm{CO_2}/1\mathrm{ mol/l})]\approx (c_\mathrm{H^+}/1\mathrm{ mol/l})\cdot (c_\mathrm{HCO_3^-}/1\mathrm{ mol/l})/(c_\mathrm{CO_2}/1\mathrm{ mol/l})
##

That's exactly the part I don't understand: so you have 55.5M H2O in the denominator in your equation (which makes the fraction 55 times as small) and then you can say it's approximately the same as "≈" removing the 55.5M H2O? How come we can just do that?

The point is that c is to a very good approximation equal to c_0. So their ratio is 1.
E.g. the concentration of water in a solution of CO2 containing 1 mol/l is still about c=(55,5-1) mol/l=54,5 mol/l, hence it differs very little from c_0

PErfect, so the ratio between [H2O]_Start and [H2O]end is 1 :)
Thank you.

1. What is the relationship between concentration of water and equilibrium?

The concentration of water and equilibrium are inversely related. This means that as the concentration of water increases, the equilibrium decreases and vice versa.

2. How does concentration of water affect equilibrium in a solution?

The concentration of water affects equilibrium by determining the direction in which a reaction will proceed. Specifically, if there is a higher concentration of water, the reaction will favor the side with fewer water molecules, and if there is a lower concentration of water, the reaction will favor the side with more water molecules.

3. Can the concentration of water reach equilibrium?

No, the concentration of water cannot reach equilibrium because water is a solvent and does not participate in chemical reactions. However, the concentration of water can reach a state of dynamic equilibrium, where the rate of water molecules entering and leaving the solution is equal.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium between water and solutes?

Temperature has a significant impact on the equilibrium between water and solutes. Generally, as temperature increases, the equilibrium shifts towards the side with more water molecules. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the solutes to dissolve and become evenly distributed in the solution.

5. What is the role of pressure in the equilibrium between water and solutes?

Pressure does not have a direct effect on the equilibrium between water and solutes. However, changes in pressure can impact the solubility of certain substances in water, which can indirectly affect the equilibrium between water and solutes.