1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentration Ratio of protein

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    Myoglobin is a globular protein, with molar mass m ≈ 17,000g/mole. The buoyant correction typically reduces m to m' ≈ 0.25m. Calculate the concentration ratio of the protein at the top of a 4 cm test tube and that at the bottom.

Here, m' stands for effective mass.

I tried as below.

I used the equation of buyoancy so that the effective mass reduce into 0.25m.

m'g = (ρ-ρ')Vg = 0.25mg = 0.25ρVg
    (ρ is the density of myoglobin, and ρ' is the density of water)
    → 0.75ρ = ρ'

So since ρ > ρ', I think the myoglobin should sink to the bottom of the test tube.

As a result, the concentration of myoglobin at the top is 0 and let the concentration of the bottom is M.

Then, concentration ratio of bottom and the top becomes 0 / M which gives me 0.

However, I don't think my answer is reasonable.
    Why does the problem give me the molar mass?

I hope anyone could ever help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Jul 2, 2014 #3
    sorry, I still couldn't find out anything more, wish I knew anything new.

deeply sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted