1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentrations of Fe(2+) ions

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1

I am not sure how I should do this exercise, and I would appreciate some pointers...

We have 6 flasks, each with a 7 ml solution in it diluted to 100 mn with distilled water (I don't think the content is relevant to the question, but if you need to know what chemicals were used, just ask me - it doesn't have any iron), and we added a standart iron solution in it (the solution:0.702 g of Iron (II) Oxalate) in 50 ml of H2O containing 1ml of concentration H2SO4), the following way: 1st flask had 0ml, the 2nd had 1 ml, the 3rd had 2 ml etc... until the 6th flask had 5 ml.

We have to calculate the Fe2+ ion concentration in each of the 5 flasks.
    How do we do that?

My idea: 0.702 g/50ml of Iron Oxalate --> We find how much that is in moles per L --> we find how much that is per millimeter --> that will be be the concentration of the 2nd flask --> x2 = concentration of the 3rd, etc...

What do you think?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 28, 2006 #3
    Hm, yes I meant ml =) it was just a typo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?