How Do Nested Conducting Loops Interact Electromagnetically?

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the heuristic tool is trying to understand a series of nested conducting loops each with a initial current, and each loop is perfectly conducting but also elastic. The heuristic tool starts with one loop and adds another loop, and tries to figure out how the first loop changes and what the final configuration is that minimizes overall energy. They can merge into one loop or remain separate loops. What the heuristic tool's conceptual issues are is when we get beyond a couple loops and one has induced currents and forces between the loops. The heuristic tool would like to get a handle on a systematic process of understanding what one might call paramagnetic or diamagnetic forces, depending on whether they attract or repel for each new loop, and
bob012345
Gold Member
Hello,

As a heuristic tool for a complex problem, I'm trying to understand a series of nested conducting loops each with a initial identical current on it. These perfectly conducting loops are in the same plane each with that current in either direction. Each nested loop is perfectly conducting but also perfectly elastic, it can grow or shrink and only has electromagnetic forces.

Starting with one loop, we add another loop and try and figure out how the first loop changes and what the final configuration is that minimizes overall energy. They can merge into one loop or remain separate loops.

What my conceptual issues are is when we get beyond a couple loops and one has induced currents and forces between the loops. I just want to get a handle on a systematic process of understanding what one might call paramagnetic or diamagnetic forces, depending on whether they attract or repel for each new loop and how each new loop effects the previous loops.

The magnitude of starting currents in each loop is fixed but can be in either direction but once set for a loop doesn't change.

I just need hints at a systematic approach. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simulate it in small time steps? For a given configuration at a given time, you can determine the forces, and translate them to accelerations (or velocities if you like a lot of friction).

mfb said:
Simulate it in small time steps? For a given configuration at a given time, you can determine the forces, and translate them to accelerations (or velocities if you like a lot of friction).
Thanks but I'm thinking of setting up an equation to determine the equilibrium situation. It's things like how the currents are reflected and induced (if that happens) that stump me. It's how to determine the forces that act. For example, I can see that the second loop will have a magnetic field that effects the first loop. Depending on the currents, it will either repel or attract. I assume circular symmetry. There must be an equal and opposite force on the other loop.

Technically you could have some induction if things are moving quickly, but not in the equilibrium state. For the equilibrium states you get static conditions, you can set up equations for the equilibrium and solve them. I would be surprised if there is a stable equilibrium at all. The outer loop should expand forever, or collapse until it hits an inner loop which then expands further to become an expanding outer loop.

mfb said:
Technically you could have some induction if things are moving quickly, but not in the equilibrium state. For the equilibrium states you get static conditions, you can set up equations for the equilibrium and solve them. I would be surprised if there is a stable equilibrium at all. The outer loop should expand forever, or collapse until it hits an inner loop which then expands further to become an expanding outer loop.
Thanks. I agree with you although for simplicity I left out part of the problem that would stabilize the loops since I'm not looking for a complete solution yet. I agree about no induction at equilibrium. We could assume they are rigid for now and there will be induction as things work toward equilibrium each time we add a current loop but at equilibrium there could be stable currents that are reflections of the original currents induced during the period of change. We are adding energy each time we add a new current loop.

1. What are concentric conducting loops?

Concentric conducting loops are two or more loops of conductive material that share a common center and are positioned one inside the other. They are commonly used in experiments and circuits to study the effects of changing magnetic fields on electric currents.

2. How do concentric conducting loops work?

Concentric conducting loops work by creating a changing magnetic field through one loop, which induces a current in the other loop due to electromagnetic induction. The direction and strength of the induced current can be controlled by changing the orientation and strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the purpose of using concentric conducting loops?

The purpose of using concentric conducting loops is to study the effects of changing magnetic fields on electric currents. They are commonly used in experiments to demonstrate and understand electromagnetic induction, as well as in circuits for various applications such as voltage regulation and signal amplification.

4. What are some real-life applications of concentric conducting loops?

Concentric conducting loops have many real-life applications, such as in electrical generators, transformers, and motors, where they are used to efficiently convert and transfer energy between electrical and magnetic fields. They are also used in electronic devices such as antennas and sensors, and in medical equipment such as MRI machines.

5. How can the behavior of concentric conducting loops be predicted and analyzed?

The behavior of concentric conducting loops can be predicted and analyzed using mathematical equations and principles, such as Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. By understanding the relationship between the changing magnetic field and the induced current, scientists and engineers can design and optimize the use of concentric conducting loops in various applications.