Electric Field and Surface Charge Density of Concentric Dielectric Shell

In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical distribution of charge with a given charge density and a dielectric shell with specific inner and outer radii. The task is to find the electric field at four different distances and the surface charge density on the inner surface of the dielectric. The solution involves using Gauss's Law and substituting the given values into the equations. The resulting answers are 29393.6 V/m, 27199.9 V/m, 4311.76 V/m, 10190.2 V/m, and -0.147717 C/m^2 for the electric fields and surface charge density, respectively. The poster also mentions having difficulty with the problem and seeking tips for future use of Latex.
jmhwang7

Homework Statement

A cylindrical distribution of charge [tex]\rho=\frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{r}}[\tex]
where [ tex ]\alpha = \frac{2\muC}{m^\frac{5}{2}} [ \tex ] extends from 0 cm to 8.2 cm. Concentric with this is a dielectric shell with 4.08 of inner radius 16 cm and other radius 26 cm. What is the electric field at 3.81 cm, 13 cm, 20.1 cm, and 34.7 cm? What is the surface charge density on the inner surface of the dielectric?

There was no picture provided.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I was really confused about what this problem was asking, especially since no picture was provided. For the length of the cylindrical charge and the dielectric shell, I tried using the value given. For example, while trying to solve for the electric field at 3.81 cm, I substituted 3.81 cm for the lengths. I tried using Gauss's Law, by multiplying E by 2*pi*r*l and setting this equal to the charge enclosed over (8.85*10^-12). For the charge enclosed, I solved for it, by plugging .0381 m into charge density formula and multiplying the result by the volume of the cylinder. I wasn't able to get the right answer.

The answers in order are: 29393.6 V/m, 27199.9 V/m, 4311.76 V/m, 10190.2 V/m, -0.147717 C/m^2

This is my first time posting here, and using Latex, so if anybody has any tips or advice on how I can make myself more concise and clear as well as how to fix what I was trying to display, I'd really appreciate those as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get an explanation for why the answers are what they are?

What is a concentric dielectric shell?

A concentric dielectric shell is a structure made up of two or more layers of different dielectric materials, with each layer having a different permittivity. The layers are arranged in a concentric manner, with each layer completely surrounding the previous one.

How does a concentric dielectric shell work?

The layers of a concentric dielectric shell work together to create a capacitor-like effect. The different permittivities of each layer allow for the storage and manipulation of electric fields, making them useful in various applications such as insulation, energy storage, and signal transmission.

What are the properties of a concentric dielectric shell?

The properties of a concentric dielectric shell include its permittivity, thickness and number of layers. These properties determine the overall capacitance and electric field distribution of the shell, making it important to consider when designing applications that require specific electric field characteristics.

What are some common uses of concentric dielectric shells?

Concentric dielectric shells have a variety of applications, including as insulation in electronic devices, as energy storage in capacitors, and as waveguides for signal transmission. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, to create controlled electric fields for imaging and treatment purposes.

What are the advantages of using concentric dielectric shells?

The use of concentric dielectric shells allows for the manipulation and control of electric fields in a more precise and efficient manner compared to using a single dielectric material. They are also versatile, with a range of properties that can be tailored to specific applications, making them useful in various fields of science and technology.