Concept of 3 balls falling from building at different angles

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which ball, thrown upwards, straight out, or downwards, will reach the ground with the highest velocity. It is determined that all three balls will have the same velocity, assuming they are given the same initial speed and neglecting friction. Various calculations are made using equations for height, potential and kinetic energy, and acceleration due to gravity. It is also mentioned that the horizontal case may not seem obvious, but the total energy remains the same as the upwards and downwards case. The discussion also touches on the effects of escape velocity and Earth's curvature on the outcome. Overall, it is concluded that all three balls will have the same velocity when they reach the ground.
mrbrownstone
If a ball is thrown upwards, another straight out, and another downwards, which will reach the ground with the highest velocity? After thinking about this for a while my conclusion is that they all will have the same velocity since they all have the same initial gravitational potential energy. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Assuming they all are given the same initial speed, you are correct.

Thank you very much for the input. I'm glad I found this forum, it seems to be an excellent resource.

No ha ha
It depends on what velocitys they are being launched at, and I am assuming that you are neglecting friction.
So let's say they all have the same initial velocities and start at 50 meters up. The starting velocities are 10m/s.
Vertical Launch: So we must first find out how high it goes before it stops and then starts heading back down to earth. I have calculated using the formula H(height)= Vi(initial veritcal velocity)T(time)+1/2(-9.8[acceleration due to gravity])(T2) here it is without the writing H=Vi*T-1/2*(9.8)*T2... I got that it reached 55.102 meters. The using PE=KE i got that it will have a speed of 32.863 m/s

Horizontal launch: So here it gets complicated but i will give you two answers, first its overall velocity cause it will have both an X-axis component, its initial veloctiy, and a Y-axis component. The second is just the Y-axis part. So I use the equation 2HG(acceleration due to gravity)= Vfinal2-Vinitial2 to find the final vertical velocity. And i get 31.305 m/s. Thats just the Y-axis componet. the overall speed is 32.863 m/s

Straight down launch: I will use the same method as Horizontal launch to find the final velocity here. (use same formula) and i get that the final speed is 32.863...

Im a little bit shocked at what I am getting but all my numbers are correct. So it seems that yes they will all hit the ground with the same speed... That is that they have all been launched at the same initial speed

This is kinda cool and weird to me ha ha, Hope this answers your question

:rofl: Nice

One thing that could have been noted, that for the ball thrown upwards, eventually it returns back to the point from where it was thrown from, with the same speed, but now downwards, so it should be clear that the upwards and downwards case is the same.

The horizontal case isn't so obvious unless you take into account that the total energy, KE + GPE is the same as the upwards and downwards case. This assumes that the object's speed isn't fast enough that curvature of the Earth's surface would be significant.

Jeff Reid said:
This assumes that the object's speed isn't fast enough that curvature of the Earth's surface would be significant.
Uh, really?

cesiumfrog said:
Uh, really?

well yeah, if you threw it hard enough it would never hit the ground as it would reach escape velocity (I know its not being thrown in the most efficient direction to exit the Earth's pull but it still has a Z component meaning it can be done with enough force)

I think you are looking at a lot of decimal ponts before it's a factor in the real world, but it's worth mentioning

Wow... at first I was very confused, now I get it. Interesting problem!

1. What is the concept of 3 balls falling from a building at different angles?

The concept refers to a scientific experiment in which three balls are released from a building at different angles and their motion is observed and analyzed.

2. How does the angle of release affect the motion of the balls?

The angle of release affects the initial velocity and trajectory of the balls, which in turn determines their motion. A larger angle of release will result in a higher initial velocity and a steeper trajectory, while a smaller angle will result in a lower initial velocity and a more gradual trajectory.

3. What other factors besides angle can affect the motion of the balls?

Other factors that can affect the motion of the balls include air resistance, the mass of the balls, and the height of the building from which they are released. These factors can influence the speed, acceleration, and final position of the balls.

4. How does the motion of the balls change over time?

As the balls fall, they will experience a constant acceleration due to gravity. This means that their speed will increase until they reach their maximum velocity, and their position will change continuously. The exact motion will depend on the initial conditions such as angle of release and other factors.

5. What can we learn from this experiment?

This experiment allows us to observe and understand the effects of different factors on the motion of objects. It also demonstrates the principles of gravity and acceleration, and can be used to make predictions and calculations about the motion of objects in similar scenarios.