Understanding AVG Speed and AVG Velocity: Solving Skateboarder Problem

But here the acceleration is given, so you can use the formula v_f = v_i + at to solve for the final speed. Then use the same average speed formula as before to get 13 m/s.In summary, the difference between average speed and average velocity is that average speed only takes into account the total distance traveled, while average velocity takes into account both the distance and direction of travel. In the given examples, the teacher used the formula for average speed to solve for the average speed of the dart and the skateboarder, which was half of the final speed in both cases. This is because for uniformly accelerated motion, the average speed is equal to half of the final speed.
Kadaj
ok i got back my test today and its some basic stuff, but i don't get the difference between AVG speed and AVG velocity.

One of my problems was 'The length of the barrel of a blowgun is 1.2 meters. Upon leaving the barrel, a dart has a speed of 14 m/s. Assmuing that the dart was uniformly accelerated, how long does it take for the dart to travel the length of the barrel?' and for the answer I got .086s but the correct answer was .17 s

Can anyone explain to me how the teacher got this?

because all i did was 1.2/14 but to me it seems my teacher did 1.2/7 but why?

And for the second part 'A skate boarder accerates from rest to 26 m/s in 10 seconds. His avg speed over this time interval is ?.

The answer is 13 m/s but i have not a clue how he got this

Can someone explain to me?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Kadaj said:
One of my problems was 'The length of the barrel of a blowgun is 1.2 meters. Upon leaving the barrel, a dart has a speed of 14 m/s. Assmuing that the dart was uniformly accelerated, how long does it take for the dart to travel the length of the barrel?' and for the answer I got .086s but the correct answer was .17 s

Can anyone explain to me how the teacher got this?

because all i did was 1.2/14 but to me it seems my teacher did 1.2/7 but why?
You used the final speed of the dart as it left the barrel. But the speed while it's in the barrel goes from zero (it starts from rest) to the final speed of 14 m/s. For uniformly accelerated motion, the average speed is [itex]v_{ave} = (v_i + v_f)/2[/itex]. So the average speed is only 7 m/s.

And for the second part 'A skate boarder accerates from rest to 26 m/s in 10 seconds. His avg speed over this time interval is ?.

The answer is 13 m/s but i have not a clue how he got this
Same idea.

Hi there,

Understanding the difference between average speed and average velocity can be confusing, but let me try to explain it to you.

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken. In your first problem, the distance traveled was 1.2 meters and the speed was 14 m/s. So your calculation of 1.2/14 gives you the average speed, which is correct.

On the other hand, average velocity takes into account the direction of motion. It is the total displacement (change in position) divided by the total time taken. In this case, the dart starts at rest and ends at a speed of 14 m/s, so its displacement is 1.2 meters in the direction of motion. Therefore, the average velocity would be 1.2 meters/0.17 seconds, which gives you a value of 7 m/s. This is why your teacher did 1.2/7 instead of 1.2/14.

For the second part, the skateboarder accelerates from rest to 26 m/s in 10 seconds. This means that his final velocity is 26 m/s and his initial velocity is 0 m/s. Using the formula for average velocity, we get (26 m/s - 0 m/s)/10 seconds = 26/10 = 2.6 m/s. This is the average velocity, but the question asks for the average speed. Since the skateboarder is traveling at a constant acceleration, his average speed would be half of his final velocity, which is 13 m/s.

I hope this helps to clarify the difference between average speed and average velocity. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it!

What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

The average speed of an object is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude. On the other hand, average velocity is the displacement of an object divided by the time taken. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do I calculate average speed and average velocity?

To calculate average speed, divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken. To calculate average velocity, divide the displacement by the time taken. Remember to include units in your calculations (e.g. meters per second for speed, meters per second north for velocity).

Why is the skateboarder's average speed greater than their average velocity?

In the skateboarder problem, the skateboarder travels back and forth between two points, ending at the same spot they started. This means that their total displacement is zero, and therefore their average velocity is also zero. However, their average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled (which is not zero) by the total time taken, resulting in a non-zero value.

What does a negative average velocity indicate?

A negative average velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. In the skateboarder problem, a negative average velocity in the x-direction would indicate that the skateboarder is moving to the left, while a positive average velocity in the x-direction would indicate movement to the right.

How can understanding average speed and average velocity be useful in real-life situations?

Understanding average speed and average velocity can be useful in many real-life situations, such as calculating the average speed of a car during a road trip or the average velocity of a boat traveling across a river. It can also be used to analyze the motion of athletes in sports such as track and field, where speed and velocity play a crucial role.