Is Angular Velocity Calculated Differently in Circular Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for angular velocity in circular motion, with one book stating that it is equal to linear velocity divided by radius, while another book says it is equal to the vertical component of velocity divided by radius. The group agrees that the latter book is correct, as the linear velocity should be the tangential component of velocity, not the vertical component. They also discuss the use of terminology and clarify that the correct term should be "component of velocity orthogonal to the position vector."
nil1996

Homework Statement

Hello PF:smile:,
i have a serious problem on circular motion.
My textbook says that
angular velocity =linear velocity /radius
While the my another book specialized in physics says that
angular velocity=vertical component of velocity/radius.

I am not understanding if both the book are saying the same.I am in agree with the solution given in the later book.
Is linear velocity same as vertical component of velocity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nil1996 said:

Homework Statement

Hello PF:smile:,
i have a serious problem on circular motion.
My text says that
angular velocity =linear velocity /radius
While the my another book specialized in physics says that
angular velocity=vertical component of velocity/radius.

I am not understanding if both the book are saying the same.I am in agree with the solution given in the later book.
Is linear velocity same as vertical component of velocity?

It should be tangential component of velocity. "vertical component of velocity" doesn't make any sense

Tanya Sharma said:
It should be tangential component of velocity. "vertical component of velocity" doesn't make any sense

Here i go confused:confused:. isn't velocity already tangent to the curve?

Tanya Sharma said:
One small quibble - it does say velocity, not speed. Velocity implies vectors, and you cannot divide by a vector.
In vectorial terms, ω = r x v/r.r. Since that's the cross product, it only depends on the component of the velocity that's orthogonal to the radius.

Likes 1 person
nil1996 said:

No need to get confused :smile:.Look at the picture I have attached.

Let the particle be at P with velocity vector in red .The point about which the angular velocity is calculated is O .OP is the position vector .The component of velocity along OP is in green (not useful for calculating angular velocity) .The component of velocity perpendicular to OP is in blue (Let us represent its magnitude by vT)

Now,angular velocity of P with respect to O = vT/OP

Attachments

• velocity.PNG
    velocity.PNG
    640 bytes · Views: 365
So as concerned to the circular motion both the books are right.
Thanks for that explanation.

nil1996 said:

Of course it is. The linear velocity vector is tangent to the trajectory.
The confusion comes from the fact that in some textbooks they use "tangential" velocity to differentiate it from "angular" velocity.
I think that is better to use "linear" velocity and "angular" velocity. Like in your first example.
The linear velocity is tangent to the trajectory so if you call it tangential velocity is not untrue but can be confusing.

On the other hand, what Tanya shows in green as the component that matters for calculating the angular acceleration is perpendicular to the position vector from O but it is not the tangential component, as tangential refers usually to "tangent to the trajectory".

So I think that in general none of the definitions is "right". Even overlooking the problem with vector division (assuming that they mean magnitudes of the vectors).

Last edited:
haruspex said:
One small quibble - it does say velocity, not speed. Velocity implies vectors, and you cannot divide by a vector.
In vectorial terms, ω = r x v/r.r. Since that's the cross product, it only depends on the component of the velocity that's orthogonal to the radius.

haruspex...Thanks for the quibble :)

nil1996...

I apologize for using an incorrect term "tangential component of velocity" in post#2 .Instead, please read it as "component of velocity orthogonal(perpendicular) to the position vector(radius) of the particle with respect to the origin".

Last edited:
thanks got it right :)

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circle and keeps the object moving along the circular path.

3. What is the difference between circular motion and rotational motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, while rotational motion refers to the spinning of an object around its own axis.

4. How is circular motion related to velocity and acceleration?

In circular motion, the velocity of the object is constantly changing due to the direction of motion being constantly changing. This results in a non-zero acceleration, even if the speed of the object remains constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Examples of circular motion include a Ferris wheel, the moon orbiting around the Earth, and a car driving around a roundabout.