Understanding Electric Potential: How Does Charge Density Affect Potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the concept of electric potential in relation to diagrams of rods with varying charge densities. The question is whether the positions of the charges affect the electric potential at a given point, or if it is solely dependent on the charge and its distance from the point. The consensus is that the electric potential is the same in both scenarios, with the equation for potential being a scalar and following the superposition principle. Useful equations and explanations are provided to help with the homework problem.
SchruteBucks
This is more of a question about a concept than the actual homework problem. The homework problem gives diagrams of rods with varying charge densities, but there's one important concept I don't yet understand, and it's stopping me from moving on in the problem.

My question is even more simple though...

Would the electric potential (at each point P) in my two diagrams be the same?

(+q)-----P-----(+q)

P-----(+2q)

i.e., do the positions of the charges affect the electric potential at that point or is the electric potential solely dependent on the charge and its distance from the point?
I'm leaning towards the latter and that the electric potential IS the same based on the fact that its scalar and direction shouldn't matter (?) but I really have no idea.
Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since potential is a scalar, the equation representing the first diagram would be:

V = (keq/r + keq/r) = 2keq/r = ((ke/r)(2q)) = (ke2q/r)

The equation representing the second scenario would be

V = (ke2q/r)

This works only because they are scalar.

Also, love the username.

Yes, those two potentials are the same. The contribution of a charge to a potential at a point depends upon the magnitude of the charge and the distance from that charge. Potential obeys the superposition principle, so you can add the individual contributions.

You could also satisfy yourself that they are the same by constructing and solving the appropriate integration...

[tex] \Delta V_E = -\int_C \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dL} [/tex]

Where the integration is a line integral along a path from a point of zero potential (usually taken to be some point off at infinity) to the point in question.

SchruteBucks said:
This is more of a question about a concept than the actual homework problem. The homework problem gives diagrams of rods with varying charge densities, but there's one important concept I don't yet understand, and it's stopping me from moving on in the problem.

My question is even more simple though...

Would the electric potential (at each point P) in my two diagrams be the same?

(+q)-----P-----(+q)

P-----(+2q)

i.e., do the positions of the charges affect the electric potential at that point or is the electric potential solely dependent on the charge and its distance from the point?
I'm leaning towards the latter and that the electric potential IS the same based on the fact that its scalar and direction shouldn't matter (?) but I really have no idea.
Any help would be VERY much appreciated!
You seem to be asking:
Is the electric potential the same for the following two situations?
1). The point at with you are find the electric potential is a distance, d, from two distinct point charges, each with charge q.

2). The point at with you are find the electric potential is a distance, d, a single point charge having charge 2q.​

The answer is, definitely yes.

WOW great responses, and fast too...this makes my homework MUCH easier! I'm glad all of you understood what I was trying to ask, and the answers couldn't have been any clearer! I even have some useful equations to use now. EXTREMELY helpful, I can't thank you enough!

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electrical potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. It is defined as the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to a specific point in the electric field.

How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy stored in a system due to the presence of electric charges. It is a scalar quantity, while electric potential is a vector quantity as it depends on both the magnitude and direction of the electric field. Electric potential is the electric potential energy per unit charge.

What is the unit of electric potential?

Electric potential is measured in volts (V). One volt is equal to one joule of energy per coulomb of charge. It is also equivalent to one newton-meter per coulomb.

How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the reference point. It can also be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge.

What are some real-life applications of electric potential?

Electric potential is used in various everyday devices, such as batteries, generators, and electric circuits. It is also important in the field of electrochemistry, where it is used to measure and control the flow of electricity in chemical reactions. Additionally, electric potential is crucial in the study of the human nervous system and brain activity.