Concept of Field: Canonical Formalism in QFT

In summary, the canonical formalism of generalizing the concept of field in QFT is a bit more complicated than replacing co-ordinates with a function. You will need to read 't Hooft's work and one of the many texts on QFT to learn more.
preet0283
can ne 1 explain 2 me the canonical formalism of generalising the concept of field in QFT...i m not 2 sure abt the replacement of generalised coordinates q(i) i=1,2,... n with phi(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this view is popular, but I for one would personally appreciate if you wrote your posts in correct English as it makes it a lot easier for me to read.

I would recommend that you first gain an understanding of the classical field before you attempt to learn about a quantum system which reduces to a classical field theory in a certain limit (which is what QFT is; see 't Hooft's piece on the "conceptual basis for QFT" for further details).

Classical field theory is the generalisation of a system with finite degrees to one with infinite degrees of freedom. This is why we replace co-ordinates with a (usually) function; we have a Lagrangian density [itex]{\cal L}[/itex] (which is a scalar) and we try and extremize the action given by this Lagrangian so that:

[tex]\delta \frac{1}{c}\int{\cal L} d^4\vec{x} = 0[/tex]

and this procedure generates field equations.

Getting to QFT is a lot more complicated, and I would recommend firstly 't Hooft's work as a brief introduction and then to dive into one of the several texts on the topic.

thanks for the help ...and i apologise for not writing in the correct english ... could u please tell me more about the references for QFT

I'm sorry, but at this stage I'm only just about mastering Classical Field Theory -- EM was relatively simple (no pun intended), and GR took a bit of work. Term has started again, and I have little free time to continue my dalliances in advanced physics. QFT is my next topic of interest, but I have to learn thermodynamics, quantum mechanics and electromagnetism + optics according to the syllabus for my exams this year.

Essentially what I'm trying to say (and doing so badly) is that you'll have to ask someone else.

f u want a gd xplanation of th canonical frmlsm then prob just check any field thry bk.

I find Mandl and Shaw and good reference.

chrs.

1. What is the concept of a field in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, a field is a mathematical quantity that describes a physical entity, such as a particle or a force, as a function of space and time. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. What is the canonical formalism in quantum field theory?

The canonical formalism is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of fields in quantum field theory. It involves using operators and commutation relations to calculate physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, and to study the evolution of a system over time.

3. How is the canonical formalism applied in quantum field theory?

The canonical formalism is applied by first identifying the Lagrangian density, which is a function of the fields and their derivatives. From this, the equations of motion for the fields can be derived using the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations can then be quantized using the canonical formalism to obtain a quantum field theory.

4. What are the advantages of using the canonical formalism in quantum field theory?

The canonical formalism allows for a systematic and mathematically rigorous approach to studying the dynamics of fields in quantum field theory. It also provides a way to quantize the theory, which is necessary in order to make predictions and calculate physical quantities. Additionally, it allows for the incorporation of symmetries, such as gauge invariance, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. What are some applications of the canonical formalism in quantum field theory?

The canonical formalism is used in a wide range of applications, including high-energy physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is essential in understanding the behavior of elementary particles and their interactions, as well as phenomena such as phase transitions and the early universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new theories, such as string theory and quantum gravity.