1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept of torque direction

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    Hi, I want to clear my concept about the direction of torque for a sin curve. Assume the torque can be represented by a sin wave (T=sinx, where x is from 0 to 2π and it starts from the origin(0,0) with an amplitude of 1.

My understanding of the torque direction is as follows (assumuing clockwise torqe to be positive):

1- from 0 to the first maxima (0≤T≤1), torque was increasing and its direction was positive.
    2- from first maxima, the direciton of the torque becomes anticlockwise until it reashces the first minima. (i.e. for 1≤T≤-1 torque is anti-clockwise)
    3- From the first minima until the zero crossing, the direction of the torque becomes clockwise again.i.e. (-1≤T≤1, torque is clockwise again).

Please comment if I am right or wrong and suggest me the true direction sense for this particular case.

Many thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2
    First of all, sin(x) is unitless, while torque has units of length x force; e.g., meter-Newtons.
    Torque is positive; 0 < x < π
    Torque is negative; π < x < 2π
    The right hand rule determines direction of torque.

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    Thanks Bob!! Its clear now, really appreciate your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook