Solve Null Geodesic: Affine Parameter & Coordinate Time - Q1,Q2,Q3

In summary, the initial data for the light ray being fired in the ##x## direction at ##t=0## means that at that moment, ##\dot{y} = \dot{z} = 0## and ##(\dot{z}) \neq 0##. This also means that ##\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{dz}{dt} = 0##. Additionally, it is always possible to choose initially that ##s = t = 0##. However, this does not necessarily imply that the answer to question 2 is yes, as it does not provide information about the derivatives. But the answer to question 2 can be determined using the chain rule.
binbagsss
I am asked a question about how far a light ray travels, the question is to be solved by solving for the null goedesic.

I am given the initial data: the light ray is fired in the ##x## direction at ##t=0##.

The relvant coordinates in the question are ##t,x,y,z##, let ##s## be the affine paramater I parameterise the geodesics with.

MY QUESTION

Q1)Concerning the intial data, does this mean that at ##t=0##, ##\dot{y}=\dot{z}=0## and ##\dot(z)\neq 0 ##? where ##\dot{x}## denotes ##\frac{dx}{ds}## .

Q2)And not ##\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dz}{dt}=0##? can we only make conclusions on the change with respect ##s##, or is it with respect to the coordinate time ##t## too?

Q3)Also, is one always free to choose initially that ##s=t=0##. If so, then if the answer to question 1 is yes, doesn't this imply the answer to question 2 is yes?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
let sss be the affine paramater I parameterise the geodesics with
I think you can't use proper time as the affine parameter for null geodesics.

davidge said:
I think you can't use proper time as the affine parameter for null geodesics.

You can't, but I don't see the OP doing that.

binbagsss said:
Concerning the intial data, does this mean that at ##t=0##, ##\dot{y}=\dot{z}=0## and ##(\dot(z)) \neq 0## ? where ##\dot{x}## denotes ##\frac{dx}{ds}##.

It means ##\dot{y} = \dot{z} = 0##, since that's what "in the ##x## direction" is supposed to mean. I'm not sure what the third thing is that you are asking if it's not equal to zero; but at ##t = 0##, you will have ##\dot{t} \neq 0## and ##\dot{s} \neq 0##.

binbagsss said:
And not ##\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dz}{dt}=0##?

Those will be true too. The proof is easy: you have ##\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{dy}{ds} \frac{ds}{dt}## by the chain rule, so the fact that ##\frac{dy}{ds} = 0## implies that ##\frac{dy}{dt} = 0##. Similarly for ##\frac{dz}{dt}##.

binbagsss said:
is one always free to choose initially that ##s=t=0##.

Yes.

binbagsss said:
if the answer to question 1 is yes, doesn't this imply the answer to question 2 is yes?

No, because choosing ##s = t = 0## at the initial event doesn't tell you anything by itself about their derivatives, or derivatives with respect to them. But as above, you can answer question 2 anyway.

What is a null geodesic?

A null geodesic is a path in spacetime that is followed by a massless particle, such as a photon. This means that the particle is traveling at the speed of light and experiences no change in proper time along its path.

What is an affine parameter?

An affine parameter is a way of parametrizing a curve in spacetime. It is used to describe the motion of an object along a geodesic, and is related to the proper time experienced by the object. Affine parameters are useful in solving problems involving null geodesics.

What is coordinate time?

Coordinate time is the time coordinate used in a particular reference frame. It is often used as a way to measure time intervals between events in spacetime. In general relativity, coordinate time is not necessarily the same as proper time experienced by an object.

What does it mean to solve a null geodesic?

Solving a null geodesic means finding the equation that describes the path of a massless particle, such as a photon, in spacetime. This involves finding the values of the affine parameter and coordinate time that correspond to the position and direction of the particle along its path.

Why is it important to understand null geodesics in general relativity?

Null geodesics are important in general relativity because they represent the paths that are followed by massless particles, which are not affected by gravity. Understanding these paths is crucial for understanding the behavior of light and other massless particles in the presence of massive objects, such as stars and black holes.