1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept Question - Momentum

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1

LHC

Hello,

I have a question about momentum that showed up in my physics textbook. It's a True/False question, and I have the answer, it's just that I'm not sure how it works. Could someone please explain this to me? Many thanks.

|Glider 1|-----> <------|Glider 2|
    -------------------------------------------
    Air Track
    -------------------------------------------

Statement: In an isolated system, two gliders (m1 = m2) on an air track move toward each other at equal speed, collide, and then move away from each other at equal speed.

Question (T/F): For this collision, if the change in momentum of glider 1 is -1.4 kg×m/s [W], then the change in momentum of glider 2 is 1.4 kg×m/s [W].

The answer is true.

I'm not sure how the numbers even got there. I recognize that they just happen to be [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], so I'm assuming there's some type of calculation to be made with the formula for kinetic energy [tex]E_{k}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]. However, I just don't see how it works. I thought that the change in momentum was simply [tex]\Delta p=2mv[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

dont ask questions here....

4. Jun 14, 2008 #3

LHC

Oh, ha, I'm so sorry. How foolish of me.

5. Jun 14, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a mentor will move this thread, so just relax and don't make a new one.

6. Jun 14, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi LHC! :smile:

They just made up the 1.4. :smile:

Hint: is momentum conserved in this collision?

what does that mean? :wink:

7. Jun 14, 2008 #6

LHC

Ohhhh! I get it. Thanks!

8. Jun 14, 2008 #7

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The thing that's funny about this T/F question is that the stated conditions are completely irrelevant. From Newton's Third Law or conservation of linear momentum, the change in linear momentum (also called the impulse) of glider 1 would be equal in magnitude and opposite in sign (since this is a one-dimensional collision) to the change in linear momentum of glider 2. Thus, the total momentum change of the two-glider system is zero (or the total linear momentum remains constant). That will be true regardless of the relative masses and initial velocities of the two gliders.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?