1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept Question

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1

Hey, I had a basic conception question about projectile velocity. When a projectile reaches its highest point, does the velocity of the projectile equal 0 or does it equal the initial x velocity? I know that Vy=0 at the highest point of a projectile's trajectory, but I'm not sure about the other component(s). Does this also go for the acceleration of the projectile?
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When a projectile reaches its highest point you are correct in that its y component of velocity is zero. The x component however is unchanged. A projectile will be subject to a constant acceleration due to gravity.
  4. Oct 17, 2007 #3

Does that mean that the velocity of a projectile at the highest point of its trajectory will be whatever the initial X velocity is?
  5. Oct 17, 2007 #4
    Yes. The acceleration is always constant.
  6. Oct 17, 2007 #5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?