Debunking Your Friend: Why Their Answer to Astronaut Pen Question is Wrong

• Thread starter richman614
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the pen appears to "float" because it is in free-fall within the gravitational field of the Earth while the space station is in orbit. The space station and the pen are both constantly falling towards the Earth, but their perpendicular velocities keep them in orbit. This contrasts with the idea that there is no gravity in space, as there is gravity everywhere. The concept of free-fall and orbit can be compared to a skydiver falling towards the Earth while not crashing into it due to their perpendicular velocity.
richman614
i have a concept question that i can't seem to get anybody?? Know??

Lets say you and a friend are wacthing tv and see an astronaut on the space station let go of a pen while he turns to get some paper. What happens to the pen when the astronaugt let's go of it? Your friend says its because there is no gravity up there. Explain why your friend is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is because the space station is in orbit. It is still in the gravitational field, so it is in free-fall, not zero-gravity.

There is gravity everywhere, the pen "floats" because it is in free-fall, similar to a skydiver as he/she plummets towards the ground. The pen is constantly falling towards Earth however because the shuttle the pen is in is orbiting the Earth it's moving fast enough to not crash into the earth. But yes there is gravity on the pen.

thanxs guys

thnak you so its like the shuttle cause a centrifugal force which keeps the pen up

richman614 said:
thnak you so its like the shuttle cause a centrifugal force which keeps the pen up

No.

It's the same as if you were in a free falling elevator and dropped a pen. You and the elevator and the pen are falling toward the earth, but to you it seems as if the pen isn't falling becasue you are falling just as fast as it.

The space station in orbit is constantly falling towards the earth, but its perpendicular velocity is such that its motion is an orbit instead of a line direct to earth.

1. How can I prove to my friend that their answer to the astronaut pen question is wrong?

The best way to debunk your friend's answer to the astronaut pen question is to present them with factual evidence and logical reasoning. You can also conduct experiments or research to support your argument.

2. What if my friend still doesn't believe me after I debunk their answer?

If your friend is not convinced by your evidence and reasoning, it is important to respect their perspective and not force them to change their beliefs. You can agree to disagree and continue to have a constructive conversation about the topic.

3. Can I use my personal opinions or beliefs to debunk my friend's answer?

No, personal opinions and beliefs do not hold the same weight as scientific evidence and logical reasoning. It is important to stick to facts and data when debunking a claim.

4. How do I approach my friend without making them feel attacked or defensive?

When debunking your friend's answer, it is important to approach the conversation with empathy and respect. Use neutral language and avoid making personal attacks. Listen to their perspective and try to understand where they are coming from.

5. Is it necessary to debunk my friend's answer?

It is not necessary to debunk your friend's answer, but it can be a helpful exercise in critical thinking and understanding different perspectives. It is important to approach the conversation with an open mind and a willingness to learn from each other.