Guitar Pedal & Amp Effects: Magnetic & Inductors

• Thread starter fallen186
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of electric/magnetic fields and inductor-type effects on guitars with pedals and amps. It is mentioned that these devices are generally shielded against EMF and that sound feedback can have a larger effect on guitar strings. It is also suggested to check for shielding inside the cables to ensure proper protection.
fallen186
I have a guitar with a pedal and amp. If i have the stuff close together (including the wires) won't the electric/magnetic fields have an affect on these devices?

Also, if i have the wire that plugs into my guitar coiled, won't that create an inductor type of effect?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes to both questions. However, I would think that the voltages and currents are pretty low (I've never actually checked, even though I play bass :/) and cables, pedals, and amps are generally shielded against EMF. If you have an old cable handy, cut it open an strip off the top rubber (or fabric) bit. You should see shielding around the inside. If not, it's probably a really really cheap cable >.>

Wetmelon is correct about shielding. A larger effect comes from sound feeding back on the guitars strings and cause them to resonate; which is desirable if you're Pink Floyd. :wink:

What are guitar pedals and amp effects?

Guitar pedals and amp effects are electronic devices that alter the sound of an electric guitar or bass guitar. They are typically used by musicians to achieve a desired tone or sound effect.

What is a magnetic effect in guitar pedals and amp effects?

A magnetic effect in guitar pedals and amp effects refers to the use of magnetic fields to manipulate the sound of the instrument. This can include effects such as distortion, overdrive, and fuzz, which are created by amplifying and clipping the guitar's signal using magnetic components.

What is an inductor in guitar pedals and amp effects?

An inductor in guitar pedals and amp effects is an electronic component that stores energy in a magnetic field. It is commonly used in filters and equalizers to shape the frequency response of the guitar's signal, resulting in effects such as wah-wah, phasing, and chorus.

How do magnetic and inductor effects differ from other types of effects?

Magnetic and inductor effects differ from other types of effects in that they rely on manipulating the magnetic properties of the guitar's signal, rather than using electronic circuits to alter the sound. This can result in a more organic and natural sound, as well as unique and unpredictable effects.

What are some popular guitar pedals and amp effects that use magnetic and inductor effects?

Some popular guitar pedals and amp effects that use magnetic and inductor effects include the Fuzz Face, Wah-Wah, Phaser, and Univibe. These effects have been used by many famous guitarists and have become iconic sounds in various genres of music.