Concepts of magnetic fields of wires and emf fun times

In summary, the magnetic field generated by a current carrying conductor along the x-axis will be in the y and z components. At a point P, there will not be any detectable magnetic field. The emf produced in wire2 is a result of the magnetic field from the BC section of wire1 and is generated along the entirety of wire2, from D to F.
smiteme

Homework Statement

Hi I need some concepts on magnetic fields explained to me. 1.)
I know in theory that if you have a current carrying conductor say along the X-axis then the magnetic field generated would be in the y,z components
So let's say I wish to measure the magnetic field in real life at a point P shown below, will there be any magnetic field detectable at this point? My spider senses tell me no but I'm not too sure.

2n868l.gif
2.)
This leads onto the second part, You have 2 wires which are both connected to whatever circuit so current can flow. If wire1 has a current flowing through it I know this will produce a magnetic field which creates an emf in wire2 which generates a current.

Now does the emf produced in wire2 come as a result from the magneitc field from just the B C section of wire1 ?

Lastly, is this emf generated along the entirety of wire2 D to F or just confined to the D to E region

2a0klg9.gif

Attachments

• 2n868l.gif
    2n868l.gif
    3 KB · Views: 335
  • 2a0klg9.gif
    2a0klg9.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
only? Homework EquationsNoneThe Attempt at a Solution1.) If you have a current carrying conductor along the x-axis, then the magnetic field generated will be in the y and z components. However, at point P, there will not be any detectable magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field produced by a wire decreases as you move away from it. 2.) Yes, the emf produced in wire2 comes as a result from the magnetic field from just the BC section of wire1. The emf is generated along the entirety of wire2, from D to F.

?
I am happy to provide some explanations on magnetic fields and emf (electromotive force) for you.

1) Your understanding of the magnetic field generated by a current carrying conductor is correct. The magnetic field will indeed have components in the y and z directions. However, the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point P will depend on the distance between the point and the conductor, as well as the current flowing through the conductor. If the point P is far enough from the conductor, the magnetic field may be too weak to be detectable. However, if the point P is closer to the conductor, there may be a detectable magnetic field.

2) When wire 1 has a current flowing through it, it will indeed produce a magnetic field. This magnetic field will then induce an emf in wire 2. This can be explained by Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an emf in a nearby conductor. The emf produced in wire 2 will be due to the magnetic field from the entire length of wire 1, not just the B-C section.

Finally, the emf generated in wire 2 will be present along the entire length of the wire, from D to F. The magnitude of the emf may vary along the length of the wire, but it will not be confined to a specific region. This can be explained by Lenz's law, which states that the induced emf will be in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it. Therefore, the emf will be present along the entire length of wire 2 to counteract the changing magnetic field from wire 1.

I hope this helps clarify some concepts for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is a magnetic field and how is it created?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as the electrons in a wire, which generate a magnetic field around the wire.

2. How do wires create a magnetic field?

Wires create a magnetic field when an electric current flows through them. This is due to the movement of electrons in the wire, which generates a magnetic field around the wire.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic fields and electric fields?

Magnetic fields and electric fields are closely related. A changing magnetic field can create an electric field, and an electric field can create a magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

4. What is electromagnetic induction and how does it relate to emf fun times?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field. This is the principle behind the creation of emf fun times, where the movement of a wire through a magnetic field creates an electric current and a fun time for the participants.

5. How can we use the concept of magnetic fields and emf fun times in real life?

Magnetic fields and emf fun times have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in generators and motors to produce electricity, in MRI machines for medical imaging, and in electromagnetic levitation for transportation systems. They also play a role in the functioning of electronic devices such as speakers and hard drives.