Value: What is the Difference?

In summary, value is not a static concept but is constantly changing and evolving through experience. It is the appreciation and consciousness of something's value that gives it significance. While humans may assign value, this does not mean that something's value is solely based on its usefulness or pleasing qualities. Rather, value is relative and individualized, and there is no universal standard for measuring it.
iron~orchid
In the contemplation of values we must distinguish between that
which is
value in our being and that which HAS value.

I ask - what is the difference?
----------------------------------

The difference by my theory is:

Value can never be static; meaning that experience
adds to value. It is the appreciative consciousness of value that
is the difference.

For instance, man may manufacture a machine which is of value, but
its real value must be derived from its use in human culture and
from personal appreciation.

So, you have love as a value within your being. But that love is
relatively valueless without growth through the potential of its
expansion. That love HAS value through your contribution and
mobilization of its power.

Question:

Is growth always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or
spiritual ?

thanks luvs, i~o

Physics news on Phys.org
Is value only that quality that we humans give a thing because it is useful or pleasing to us or can value of any kind of value such as beauty be intrinsic? It seem awfully audacious to think that only we humans can assign any value to anything and then only in relation to ourselves.
I think all growth if not conscious will soon become conscious. We are after all self aware and as ourselves change we become aware, conscious of that change.

Last edited:
Uh, iron~orchid, this thread would probably be more comfortable in the "Value Theory" forum.

In fact, it asks some of the central questions of value theory, and could be many threads, since there are many possible answers.

Concepts of Value
In the contemplation of values we must distinguish between that
which is value in our being and that which HAS value.

I ask - what is the difference?
My answer – there isn’t any.

Value is strictly within the human mind. It is related directly to how we act within our environment. Each of us may think and act differently even when staring at the same moss covered rock and so it can be seen that value is relative, relative to the individual making the judgment, that is. There is no universal yardstick with which to measure a potato and claim; yes, this has a value of 37.2.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
My answer – there isn’t any.

Value is strictly within the human mind. It is related directly to how we act within our environment. Each of us may think and act differently even when staring at the same moss covered rock and so it can be seen that value is relative, relative to the individual making the judgment, that is. There is no universal yardstick with which to measure a potato and claim; yes, this has a value of 37.2.

I kind of agree with this and kind of disagree with this. While I do agree value is within the human mind, I think the environent or naturalistic concepts are made of color, so my theory would be that color is value. An extreme position would be that colors and values therefore are not in the world at all, they instead are mere projections that tell us more about the users of response-dependent concepts than about the world they inhabit. That's my theory. Even though setting aside such extreme views, a number of important philosophical and psychological questions would still remain open.

1. What is the definition of value?

Value is a concept that refers to the worth, importance, or usefulness of something. It can be subjective, as it is based on individual perceptions and beliefs, but it can also be objective, as it can be measured through factors such as cost, demand, and utility.

2. How is value different from price?

Price is the amount of money that is paid for a good or service, while value refers to the overall significance or satisfaction that is obtained from that good or service. Price is determined by the market, while value is determined by the individual.

3. Can value be measured?

Yes, value can be measured in various ways. For example, in economics, value can be measured through market prices and consumer demand. In psychology, value can be measured through satisfaction and well-being. However, value can also be subjective and difficult to quantify.

4. What factors influence value?

There are many factors that can influence value, including personal beliefs and preferences, societal norms and expectations, market demand and supply, and scarcity. Value can also be influenced by emotional and psychological factors, such as perceived status or self-esteem.

5. How does value differ across cultures?

Value can vary greatly across different cultures, as it is influenced by cultural beliefs, traditions, and social norms. For example, in some cultures, material possessions may hold a high value, while in others, spiritual or communal values may be more important. Additionally, the concept of value itself may differ across cultures, as it is shaped by individual and collective experiences.