How Does the Ideal Gas Law Apply to Chemical Reactions?

In summary, at constant temperature and pressure, the volume decreases as the number of moles decreases. The pressure and density do not change, while the temperature and molar density increase. This question may have been thrown out due to the ambiguity of the term "density," which could refer to either mass density or molar density.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1. When the following reaction proceeds, what will be true? 2A(g) + 3B(g) -> 4C(g)

(1) The temperature will increase at constant P and V.
(2) The volume will increase at constant T and P.
(3) The pressure will increase at constant T and V.
(4) The density will increase at constant T and P.
(5) The moles will increase at constant T and V.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

PV=nT. I removed the constant R. This is the equation I'll be considering when evaluating how each variable in the ideal gas equation is related to another variable.

We know from the equation in the question that the number of moles of gas decreases from 5 to 4. There are 5 moles of reactants and 4 moles of products. So n changes.

The choices present one variable as increasing along with two other variables held constant. So let's consider the choices.

1) Temperature will increase if P and V are held constant. Temperature is INVERSELY proportional to n. N decreases. T increases. Yes. Well, that was quick, but let's consider the other choices.

2) Volume is directly proportional to n because the two variables are on opposite sides of the equation PV=nRT and there aren't any fractions. N decreases. V also decreases. We can generalize this rule: any variable directly proportional to n will decreases as n is decreasing and if this variable decreases this variable will contradict any answer choices (since they all peg the variable as increasing).

3) P is directly proportional to n. Wrong choice in the context of the problem.

4) Density = Molar Mass (M) multiplied by P (pressure) over RT, where R is the gas constant and T is temperature. T and P are held constant, so looks like density is proportional to molar mass. We don't know any molar masses. The identities of the gases is unknown. Can't be right.

5) This directly contradicts what's going on in the problem in the first place.

Questions:

1) I'm fairly confident my answer is correct; are my lines of reasoning similarly correct?

2) Also this is a test question from a test I just took and this question got thrown out without explanation. Any answer choice chosen was considered correct. Why might this be? Am I overlooking something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing I can think of is #4. You already correctly said in #2 that, at constant T and P, the volume decreases. Irrespective of the molar masses, the total mass of material in the reactor doesn't change. So the mass density must increase. However, if you are referring to the molar density, the volume decreases in proportion to the number of moles. So the molar density doesn't change.

Likes 1 person
Thanks! Prof agreed. There is an argument to be made regarding molar density and mass density.

1. What is the conceptual gas law?

The conceptual gas law, also known as the ideal gas law, is a fundamental equation in chemistry that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It is represented as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

2. How is the conceptual gas law used in scientific research?

The conceptual gas law is used in scientific research to study the behavior of gases under different conditions. It can be used to predict the pressure, volume, or temperature of a gas if the other variables are known. This law is also used to determine the number of moles of a gas present in a given volume and to compare the behavior of different gases.

3. What are some real-life applications of the conceptual gas law?

The conceptual gas law is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in the design of refrigeration and air conditioning systems, the production of industrial gases, and the study of atmospheric gases. It is also used in scuba diving to calculate the effects of changing pressure on the body and in weather forecasting to predict changes in atmospheric pressure.

4. What are the limitations of the conceptual gas law?

The conceptual gas law is based on certain assumptions, including that the gas particles are infinitely small and do not interact with each other. Therefore, it is not accurate for real gases at high pressures or low temperatures. Additionally, it does not take into account the presence of intermolecular forces and the non-ideal behavior of gases.

5. How does the conceptual gas law relate to other gas laws?

The conceptual gas law is a combination of three other gas laws: Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Avogadro's law. These laws describe the relationships between two variables while holding the others constant. Boyle's law states that at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. Charles's law states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. Avogadro's law states that at a constant temperature and pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles present.